Help! Cannot install malware bytes after I download mbam installer

Have downloaded mbam setup installer

When I double click on the mbam  installer icon a window appears with the message

"Select Setup Language to use during the installation"  When I click on this   with a blue spinning circle in it"

When I try to  delete the installer a window  another window appears with the message

"File in use

Cannot be completed because delete because malware bytes is open in Malbytes Anti Malaware

Close the file and try again"

What is going here. I don't have malware bytes on my pc!!!!!

• Root Admin

Hello and :welcome:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

• Root Admin

I don't see anything obvious in the logs that would account for an issue with installing MBAM. You do have some other issues going on that are not malware related that you should look at fixing.

Application errors:
==================
Error: (10/21/2016 01:07:32 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.14393.206, time stamp: 0x57dacb32
Faulting module name: WlanMediaManager.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899952
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005d4b8
Faulting process id: 0x1340
Faulting application start time: 0x01d22bbd9be8cb3b
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\WlanMediaManager.dll
Report Id: 3b216d0c-7565-4499-b3a6-99c301f26c19
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error: (10/21/2016 10:49:52 AM) (Source: DPTF) (EventID: 256) (User: )
Description: Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10600.150) TYPE: ERROR

DPTF Build Version:  8.1.10600.150
DPTF Build Date:  Jun 26 2015 11:46:12
Source File:  ..\..\..\Sources\Manager\EsifApplicationInterface.cpp @ line 737
Executing Function:  DptfEvent
Framework Event:  DptfResume [3]

Error: (10/21/2016 08:42:14 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (EventID: 5973) (User: DESKTOP-EPNQ9EJ)
Description: Activation of app Microsoft.ZuneMusic_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.ZuneMusic failed with error: -2147023170 See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Error: (10/21/2016 08:42:08 AM) (Source: DPTF) (EventID: 256) (User: )
Description: Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.1.10600.150) TYPE: ERROR

DPTF Build Version:  8.1.10600.150
DPTF Build Date:  Jun 26 2015 11:46:12
Source File:  ..\..\..\Sources\Manager\EsifApplicationInterface.cpp @ line 737
Executing Function:  DptfEvent
Framework Event:  DptfResume [3]

Please make sure you temporarily disable your antivirus and try the following method to get MBAM installed. 

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you

Ron

Ron thanks for your continued concern about my frustrating problem

Im sorry if I caused any confusion...I have two pcs a desktop and a laptop.  I installed mb on my W7 desktop last week with no problems

My W10 laptop is the affected pc having the installation problem. The logs I sent you were from the affected laptop.

I used the mb cleanup tool and disabled windows defender before attempting again to install mb

Jim

• Root Admin

No problem Jim. All is good, just wanting to help you as best we can. Let's go ahead and run some other malware threat scanners and see if they pick up anything that might be causing an issue.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Please restart the computer first and then run the following steps and post back the logs when ready.

STEP 01
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus

STEP 02
Let's clean out any adware now: (this will require a reboot so save all your work) Please note the version has changed so the directions are different. Just scan and clean and post back the log.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • When it's done, you'll see: Pending: Please uncheck elements you don't want to be removed.
  • Now click on the Report button and a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Look at the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
  • If there's a program you may want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
  • If you're not sure, post the log for review. (all items found are adware/spyware/foistware)
  • If you're ready to clean it all up, click the Clean button.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
  • To restore an item that has been deleted:
  • Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want to be restored > now click on Restore.

STEP 03
Download Sophos Free Virus Removal Tool and save it to your desktop.

• Double click the icon and select Run
  • Click Next
  • Select I accept the terms in this license agreement, then click Next twice
  • Click Install
  • Click Finish to launch the program
  • Once the virus database has been updated click Start Scanning
  • If any threats are found click Details, then View Log file (bottom left-hand corner)
  • Copy and paste the results in your reply
  • Close the Notepad document, close the Threat Details screen, then click Start cleanup
  • Click Exit to close the program
  • If no threats were found, please confirm that result.

STEP 04
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). If you've, run the tool before you need to place a check mark here.
  • Please attach the Additions.txt log to your reply as well.

Thanks

Ron,

As requested:

My laptop is an Asus GL552V running W10

Junkware Removal tool, AdwCleaner,  and Farbar results  are attached  There were no threats found with Sophos

My AV was turned off only for the Junkware scan as instructed, and turned back on for the other scans.

I noticed the Mbam installer file that I cant load is labeled 32 bit.   Would that work on a 64 bit system?

Thanks for your help

Jim

JRT.txt

AdwCleaner[C0].txt.txt

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

I notice that you have Reason Core Security software running in real-time as well as Avira antivirus. The Intel Security has also crashed along with a couple other services.

Can we do a test here Jim. Let me have you download a new fresh installer of MBAM and just save it to your computer, don't run it yet.

Then temporarily uninstall Reason Core Security and Avira antivirus. Then restart the computer and try to install MBAM now and if it installs okay, go ahead and reinstall Avira antivirus and let me know the results.

Download MBAM

Thank you

Ron

Ross

Thanks for your advice   IT WORKED!!!

I never heard of reason core and I googled it and found it was supposedly a safe progam.  When I went to Control Panel/Programs I found it was installed yesterday which makes me believe  if it was bundled with one of the scan programs (it was a 30 day trial)  I downloaded  ran as you instructed

Long story short  I  uninstalled it as I never asked for it.   I was finally able to install Malware bytes!

What do you make of this?  Anyway alls well that ends well and I'm happy to have Malware Bytes on my new laptop

Ross thank you very much for hanging in there with me and solving the install problem

Jim 

• Root Admin

Great, glad that worked out for you Jim. Yes, I was not sure, but some security software will block other security software from being installed, or can get corrupt. 

Make sure you do have an antivirus installed though as MBAM is not an antivirus product.

At this time there are no more signs of an infection on your system and you were able to get MBAM installed.

However if you are still seeing any signs of an infection please let me know.

Let's go ahead and remove the tools and logs we've used during this process.

Most of the tools used are potentially dangerous to use unsupervised or if ran at the wrong time.
They are often updated daily so if you went to use them again in the future they would be outdated anyways.

The following procedures will implement some cleanup procedures to remove these tools.

bwebb7v.jpgDownload Delfix from here and save it to your desktop. (you may already have this)

• Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
  • Click the Run button.
  • Reboot

Any other programs or logs that are still remaining, you can manually delete. (right click.....Delete)
IE: RogueKiller.exe, RKreport.txt, RK_Quarantine folder, C:\FRST folder, FRST-OlderVersion folder, MBAR folder, etc....AdwCleaner > just run the program and click uninstall.

If there are any other left over Folders, Files, Logs then you can delete them on your own.

Please visit the following link to see how to delete old System Restore Points. Please delete all of them and create a new one at this time.
How to Delete System Protection Restore Points in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Remove all but the most recent Restore Point on Windows XP

As Java seems to get exploited on a regular basis I advise not using Java if possible but to at least disable java in your web browsers
How do I disable Java in my web browser? - Disable Java

A lot of reading here but if you take the time to read a bit of it you'll see why/how infections and general damage are so easily inflicted on the computer. There is also advice on how to prevent it and keep the system working well. Don't forget about good, solid backups of your data to an external drive that is not connected except when backing up your data. If you leave a backup drive connected and you do get infected it can easily damage, encrypt, delete, or corrupt your backups as well and then you'd lose all data.
Nothing is 100% bulletproof but with a little bit of education you can certainly swing things in your favor.

If you're not currently using Malwarebytes Premium then you may want to consider purchasing the product which can also help greatly reduce the risk of a future infection.