Can't remove or fix Privoxy

Hello all, I've been using Avira as my daily for some time now, and Malwarebytes occasionally when I feel something is off in my system, or like just recently, when I started getting pop up ads on certain websites. After running the scan it alerted me to the potentially harmful Privoxy residing in my system. I told it to remove it, it told me that all items were successfully removed, and it just needed to restart, but afterward I was still getting the pop ups. I did another scan and Privoxy showed up again, so I removed it, and restarted, and it was still there afterward again..

Now, from the bit of research I did, it seems that Privoxy isn't in itself a harmful program, it's simply a proxy, though it can be used maliciously. How can I fix it so that I stop seeing these ads?

And just for some insight, I use the latest Firefox and uBlock Origin.

Thanks!

Hello Acurapassion and welcome to Malwarebytes,

My screen name is kevinf80, i`m here to help clean up your system. Make sure to run all scans from accounts with Administrator status, continue as follows please:

Anyone other than the original starter of this thread please DO NOT follow the instructions and advice posted as replies here, my help and advice is NOT related to your system and will probably cause more harm than good...

Change the download folder setting in the default Browser so all tools we may use are saved to the Desktop:

user posted imageGoogle Chrome - Click the "Customize and control Google Chrome" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image
Choose Settings. at the bottom of the screen click the
"Show advanced settings..." link. Scroll down to find the Downloads section and click the Change... button. Select your desktop and click OK.

user posted imageMozilla Firefox - Click the "Open Menu" button in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image Choose Options. In the downloads section, click the Browse button, click on the Desktop folder and the click the "Select Folder" button. Click OK to get out of the Options menu.

user posted imageInternet Explorer - Click the Tools menu in the upper right-corner of the browser. user posted image Select View downloads. Select the Options link in the lower left of the window. Click Browse and select the Desktop and then choose the Select Folder button. Click OK to get out of the download options screen and then click Close to get out of the View Downloads screen.
NOTE: IE8 Does not support changing download locations in this manner. You will need to download the tool(s) to the default folder, usually Downloads, then copy them to the desktop.

user posted imageChange default download folder location in Edge -Boot to a user account with admin status, select start > file explorer > right click on "Downloads" folder and select "Properties"

In the new window select "Location" tab > clear the text field box and type in or copy/paste %userprofile%\Desktop > select "Apply" then "OK"

Be aware you are not changing the Browser download folder location, you are changing the user’s download directory location.....

Next,

Follow the instructions in the following link to show hidden files:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Next,

Download RKill from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

There are three buttons to choose from with different names on, select the first one and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7/8/10, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this in your next reply.
  • If you do not see the black box flash on the screen delete the icon from the desktop and go back to the link for the download, select the next button and try to run the tool again, continue to repeat this process using the remaining buttons until the tool runs. You will find further links if you scroll down the page with other names, try them one at a time.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Next,

Please open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

• On the Settings tab > Detection and Protection sub tab, Detection Options, tick the box "Scan for rootkits".
  • Under Non-Malware Protection sub tab Change PUP and PUM entries to Treat detections as Malware
  • Click on the Scan tab, then click on Scan Now >> . If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
  • A Threat Scan will begin.
  • When the scan is complete Apply Actions to any found entries.
  • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear (if applicable), then click on Yes.
  • After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.

To get the log from Malwarebytes do the following:

• Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
  • Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click Export > From export you have three options:
    Copy to Clipboard - if seleted right click to your reply and select "Paste" log will be pasted to your reply
    Text file (*.txt) - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply
    XML file (*.xml) - if selected you will have to name the file and save to a place of choice, recommend "Desktop" then attach to reply

• Please use "Copy to Clipboard, then Right click to your reply > select "Paste" that will copy the log to your reply…

Next,

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach those logs to your reply.

Let me see those logs in your reply...

Thank you,

Kevin...

On 10/27/2016 at 3:19 PM, kevinf80 said:
Let me see those logs in your reply...

Thank you,

Kevin...

Well, after doing all that my problem seemed to have gone away and I was getting very optimistic. However, after about a day it came right back.. So, below here I'll include all the logs. I just want to say I greatly appreciate your help though. :)

Rkill.txt

MWB Scan Log.txt

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Thanks for those logs, also note your hard drive may have issues....

Error: (10/29/2016 12:46:11 AM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Continue as follows:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into.
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

• Double click on Adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on the Scan in the Actions box
  • Please wait fot the scan to finish..
  • When "Waiting for action.Please uncheck elements you want to keep" shows in top line..
  • Click on the Cleaning box.
  • Next click OK on the "Closing Programs" pop up box.
  • Click OK on the Information box & again OK to allow the necessary reboot
  • After restart the AdwCleaner(C*)-Notepad log will appear, please copy/paste it in your next reply. Where * is the number relative to list of scans completed...

Next,

Please download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/KVRT/latest/full/KVRT.exe

• Right click on KVRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read the EULA, then select Accept.
  • Wait for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to initialize.
  • In the main screen, select Change parameters, place a checkmark in System drive, then click OK.
  • Click Start scan.
  • Wait for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to complete scanning.
  • When the scan is finished, select Neutralize all for all detected objects.
  • When complete select "Reports" from the main interface, the log will be saved as a text file. Let me see that log... (If nothing is found there will be no report)
  • Close Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool when done.

Let me see those logs in your reply, also tell me if there are any remaining issues or concerns...

Thanks,

Kevin

Fixlist.txt

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

On 10/29/2016 at 4:02 PM, kevinf80 said:

Thanks for those logs, also note your hard drive may have issues...

Continue as follows:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into.
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

• Double click on Adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on the Scan in the Actions box
  • Please wait fot the scan to finish..
  • When "Waiting for action.Please uncheck elements you want to keep" shows in top line..
  • Click on the Cleaning box.
  • Next click OK on the "Closing Programs" pop up box.
  • Click OK on the Information box & again OK to allow the necessary reboot
  • After restart the AdwCleaner(C*)-Notepad log will appear, please copy/paste it in your next reply. Where * is the number relative to list of scans completed...

Next,

Please download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/KVRT/latest/full/KVRT.exe

• Right click on KVRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read the EULA, then select Accept.
  • Wait for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to initialize.
  • In the main screen, select Change parameters, place a checkmark in System drive, then click OK.
  • Click Start scan.
  • Wait for Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to complete scanning.
  • When the scan is finished, select Neutralize all for all detected objects.
  • When complete select "Reports" from the main interface, the log will be saved as a text file. Let me see that log... (If nothing is found there will be no report)
  • Close Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool when done.

Let me see those logs in your reply, also tell me if there are any remaining issues or concerns...

Thanks,

Kevin

Sorry for taking so long to respond, chkdsk told me there were 4Kb in bad sectors, so I ran chkdsk /f /r to try and fix this, and it actually corrupted my filesystem.. I spent the past couple days trying to fix it, and finally on a whim I tried automatic startup repair which did it. Obviously I was very relieved to have all my files and work back..

I tried everything you said and was optimistic at first, it seemed my problem was gone. However, after a few hours, the pop-ups returned.. I'll include all my logs below. Kasperky found two non malware objects that were potentially a threat so I told it to quarantine. I'll post a pic because I cant get the log file. Also, why is it important to run these things from desktop?

Thanks again!

Fixlog.txt

KasperskyReport.jpg

3 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:

Did you run AdwCleaner, can I see that log. Also which browser is affected by popups, one specific browser or more than one browser...

Yes sorry, I'll attach it. It affects all my browsers, Firefox, Chrome, Edge.

Also, FRST quarantined legit programs like EVGA Precision X and OC Scanner, and deleted all my pinned folders in File Explorer.

AdwCleaner[C0].txt

user posted imageScan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk from here: http://hijackthis.nl/smeenk/ and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)

*.exe Mirror http://smeenk.247fixes.com/Tools/zoek.exe

Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here or here

• Right-click on user posted image icon and select user posted image Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:

createsrpoint;
autoclean;
emptyclsid;
emptyalltemp;
ipconfig /flushdns >>"%temp%\log.txt";b

• Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Please include its content in your next reply. Don't forget to re-enable security software!

Let me see that log, also tell me if there are any remaining issues or concerns...

Thank you,

Kevin...

42 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:
user posted imageScan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk from here: http://hijackthis.nl/smeenk/ and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)

*.exe Mirror http://smeenk.247fixes.com/Tools/zoek.exe

Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here or here

• Right-click on user posted image icon and select user posted image Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:

• Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Please include its content in your next reply. Don't forget to re-enable security software!

Let me see that log, also tell me if there are any remaining issues or concerns...

Thank you,

Kevin...

Here's the log, still having the issues though unfortunately. I do appreciate your help greatly.

zoek-results.txt

Clean install Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, see if those browsers are responding without popups after completion..

If your Chrome Bookmarks are important do this first:

Go to this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Export-Bookmarks-from-Chrome follow the instructions and Export your Bookmarks from Chrome, save to your Desktop or similar. Note the instructions can also be used to Import the bookmarks.....

Continue for a clean install:

Download Chrome installer and save to install later: https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

Remove all synced data from Chrome go here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6386691?hl=en-GB follow those instructions... It is essntial that any/all synced data is removed when the browser is hijacked or exploited in anyway...

Uninstall Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en-GB follow those instructions, ensure the option to "Also delete your browsing data" is selected. <<--- Very important!!

Navigate to C:\Users\Your user name\Appdata\Local from that folder delete the folder named Google (you will need to show hidden files/folders to see the folder Appdata)

For XP that will be My Computer > C:\ Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Roaming

How to show hidden files and folders for windows: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Install Google Chrome :

Install Adblock Plus to Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Install DrWeb Link Ant-virus Link Checker: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/drweb-anti-virus-link-che/aleggpabliehgbeagmfhnodcijcmbonb?hl=en

Does that help

Next,

Make a "Clean" install Firefox:

Use the following link for instructions how to back up your bookmarks, same link can be used to import saved Bookmarks:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Next,

Go here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ download save the latest version of Firefox.. We will install this later...

Next,

Lets totally remove Firefox and start over.

Go here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer and follow those instructions...

Ensure when the uninstall completes to navigate to and delete the firefox installation folder (if present):

(32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
(64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox

It is essential the installation folder is removed. Re-boot your system when that is completed....

Next,

To remove all remaining data and profile information...

Press "Windows key + R" to open the Run box
In the Run box, type in or copy and paste %APPDATA%
Click OK. A Windows Explorer window will appear.
In this window, choose/open in succession Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles.
Select Delete on each entry in reverse, eg Profiles > Delete. Firefox > Delete. Mozilla > Delete.

Re-boot your system when complete!

Next,

Use the Mozilla Firefox installer to reinstall your Browser....

When Firefox is installed and open select these keys together :- Ctrl - Shift - A that will access Addons manger, this gives access to find addons/extensions, use, start, stop or disable those features etc....

Ensure to use search to find and install AdBlock plus, Flashblock and DrWeb Anti-Virus Link Checker plus any other addons you normally use.... Now try surfing, see what happens...

1 hour ago, kevinf80 said:
Clean install Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, see if those browsers are responding without popups after completion..

If your Chrome Bookmarks are important do this first:

Go to this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Export-Bookmarks-from-Chrome follow the instructions and Export your Bookmarks from Chrome, save to your Desktop or similar. Note the instructions can also be used to Import the bookmarks.....

Continue for a clean install:

Download Chrome installer and save to install later: https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

Remove all synced data from Chrome go here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6386691?hl=en-GB follow those instructions... It is essntial that any/all synced data is removed when the browser is hijacked or exploited in anyway...

Uninstall Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en-GB follow those instructions, ensure the option to "Also delete your browsing data" is selected. <<--- Very important!!

Navigate to C:\Users\Your user name\Appdata\Local from that folder delete the folder named Google (you will need to show hidden files/folders to see the folder Appdata)

For XP that will be My Computer > C:\ Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Roaming

How to show hidden files and folders for windows: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Install Google Chrome :

Install Adblock Plus to Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Install DrWeb Link Ant-virus Link Checker: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/drweb-anti-virus-link-che/aleggpabliehgbeagmfhnodcijcmbonb?hl=en

Does that help

Next,

Make a "Clean" install Firefox:

Use the following link for instructions how to back up your bookmarks, same link can be used to import saved Bookmarks:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Next,

Go here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ download save the latest version of Firefox.. We will install this later...

Next,

Lets totally remove Firefox and start over.

Go here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer and follow those instructions...

Ensure when the uninstall completes to navigate to and delete the firefox installation folder (if present):

(32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
(64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox

It is essential the installation folder is removed. Re-boot your system when that is completed....

Next,

To remove all remaining data and profile information...

Press "Windows key + R" to open the Run box
In the Run box, type in or copy and paste %APPDATA%
Click OK. A Windows Explorer window will appear.
In this window, choose/open in succession Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles.
Select Delete on each entry in reverse, eg Profiles > Delete. Firefox > Delete. Mozilla > Delete.

Re-boot your system when complete!

Next,

Use the Mozilla Firefox installer to reinstall your Browser....

When Firefox is installed and open select these keys together :- Ctrl - Shift - A that will access Addons manger, this gives access to find addons/extensions, use, start, stop or disable those features etc....

Ensure to use search to find and install AdBlock plus, Flashblock and DrWeb Anti-Virus Link Checker plus any other addons you normally use.... Now try surfing, see what happens...

Though, if it's affecting all my browsers, wouldn't it be a system issue and not within the browser itself? I can see Privoxy and pS2PClnt running in my processes.

Apologies but I listed Privoxy entries for removal with the first FRST fix, if they are back run frst again as follows:

Run FRST one more time, ensure all boxes are checkmarked under "Whitelist" but only Addition.txt under "Optional scan" Select scan, when done post the new logs. "FRST.txt" and "Addition.txt"

42 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:

Apologies but I listed Privoxy entries for removal with the first FRST fix, if they are back run frst again as follows:

Run FRST one more time, ensure all boxes are checkmarked under "Whitelist" but only Addition.txt under "Optional scan" Select scan, when done post the new logs. "FRST.txt" and "Addition.txt"

Currently, whenever I try to run FRST, it start up, updates and says it's ready to use, and then endlessly loops restarting and updating, and I have to kill it through task manager.

On 11/7/2016 at 9:56 AM, kevinf80 said:

Which programs were removed by Zoek, yes FRST is just a scan to have another look at your system, no changes are made..

Discord Appdata, 7 Days to Die Appdata, EVGA OC Scanner. Could the reason we are having so much trouble removing it be that anti-virus sees the inserter as a harmless program?

After re-boot does Privoxy return...

Fixlist.txt

48 minutes ago, kevinf80 said:

After re-boot does Privoxy return...

Fixlist.txt

Well, as of this moment it is gone. Though, I will keep you posted because last time it came back within hours.

On 11/13/2016 at 3:13 PM, kevinf80 said:

Ok keep me updated...

It may not be related, though, around the time of doing the fix, my computer started freezing randomly and the desktop background will turn black at random points as well. I thought maybe it was the graphics driver so I did a clean install of my Nvidia, but that didn't help. I included the fixlog from FRST just in-case it removed something it shouldn't have that you notice.

On the Privoxy side of things, it has yet to return, and my webpages are no longer plagued by the pop-ups, so I'm very hopeful and thankful for that.

Fixlog_13-11-2016 14.55.37.txt