RubbeR DuckY

A-Squared tries to pull a quick one

66 posts in this topic

Oh. Were you able to get your computer at least to boot back up so you could fix it?

That's just terrible, I'm sorry :angry:

I threw it out.It was getting old anyway.I bought a new one later ;)

Awww. That's too bad though :angry: At least you were able to get a new one and you needed one anyway. Did you ever tell them about what happened or no?

I threw it out.It was getting old anyway.I bought a new one later ;)

A-Squared and Malwarebytes are both small companies with the same business model. That makes us competitors

Actually we are a completely different animals . A-Squared is a multi-engine all in one suite , Malwarebytes is an antivirus complement .

I have come to believe that the meteoric rise of Malwarebytes (look at the CNet dowload stats) has been fueled by the attention they have paid to forums

Actually it has more to do with the fact that help forums are fueled by antivirus company failures and malware that evades antivirus software is where Malwarebytes is at its absolute strongest . It is only logical that this public venue clearly demonstrates our dominance in the niche we have carved out for ourselves .

We only consider malware authors our competitors and they view us the same way . This is clearly evident when looking at the number of infections that attempt to attack our software .

Then when virus-stricken folks google on their problem, it leads them to many posts with mbam recommendations from expert advisors. That's different than in Germany, A-Squared's biggest market, where people pay more astute attention to head-on-head anti-virus detection rates and then make their choice. A-Squared creams all the competition in that respect

So Americans care more about watching real world current threat malware stomping in the forums than they do about pretend tests that involve samples from as far back as the windows 95 days ? I fail to see what is so shocking about this .

once-per-day updates vs. several times in a 24 hour period

When have we ever updated only once a day ? Today has been slow and we have already done 5 .

small data base of virus signatures vs. 3+ million

A small database of current threats > than any size that is not strong on current threats . I am sorry to say that even the average noob has begun to figure out that database size has absolutely nothing to do with detection rates . Think of it this way . What is the difference between a database that is 95% threats that you have absolutely no chance of encountering by a factor of years and a database that is 95% made up definitions for malware that never existed ? As far as protecting you today they are indistinguishable .

http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php...=Trojan.Vundo.H

At this moment this is at 54 million + hits and corresponds to exactly 0 definitions . The days of definition count having much to do with anything are long gone . Superior tech can detect malware with no defs at all and any company that goes on and on about this figure is covering up something else up .

@ Nosirrah

Well said! :angry:

Actually we are a completely different animals . A-Squared is a multi-engine all in one suite , Malwarebytes is an antivirus complement .

I think they dint get this point. I haven

I've never understood the reasoning behind "bashing" competitors. As an average user, when I read something like this, I get embarrassed for the company making the damaging remarks. I automatically think to myself that the company getting "bashed" must have a superior product and the one doing the bashing is struggling to pick up the scraps. This will undoubtedly boost MBAM and drag A2 down. Just my 2cents.

As Bruce has pointed out A2AM and MBAM are not the same class of applications.

Now as far as they dint get it. I know from personal experience that the EMSI Software developers do get it, at least the ones I have spoken with at one point or another.

Any speculation, by anyone, about what happened or did not happen between the person recently terminated by EMSI and EMSI management is just that speculation.

The job of a security application can be broken down to 3 things:

1. Prevention (A2AM excels at this)

2. Detection (A2AM has problems with False Positives, as do many other AV/AS/AM applications. Most notably McAfee, a few weeks back a McAffee update was responsible for rendering inoperable quite a few windows servers, some of them were mission critical servers, all over the globe. The McAfee update incorrectly identified several critical Windows system files as malicious and deleted them. In A2AM's defense the false positives are quickly corrected, once EMSI has been notified of the FP.)

3. Mitigation (A2AM fails to remove some of the nastier infections, as do most of the other AV/AS/AM applications, that's if they even detect the infection in the first place. However, A2AM informs the user when it fails to remove a particular infection and refers them to the a-squared support forums, for assistance in removing the malware.)

DISCLAIMER: Other than being an ESMI Software affiliate, and the head of their Malware Removal forum; I have absolutely no financially ties to EMSI Software, and I am not employed by EMSI Software.

As Marcin posted earlier in this thread, he had spoken with Christian and that Christian had properly dealt with the situation. If Marcin is satisfied with how this was handled by EMSI Software, then who are we to demand anything differently.

I spoke with the CEO of Emsisoft regarding this situation. Christian confirmed it was an employee of Emsisoft and he has dealt with him properly. I thank Christian for his efforts.
As Marcin posted earlier in this thread, he had spoken with Christian and that Christian had properly dealt with the situation. If Marcin is satisfied with how this was handled by EMSI Software, then who are we to demand anything differently.

These two statements, imho says that the overly passionate authors case is settled and closed. So lets get back into the business of removing malware and protecting the innocence. ;)

These two statements, imho says that the overly passionate authors case is settled and closed. So lets get back into the business of removing malware and protecting the innocence. ;)

Yes, removing malware is far more important than petty squabbles between companies. As Bruce said, our only competition is the malware.

Awww. That's too bad though ;) At least you were able to get a new one and you needed one anyway. Did you ever tell them about what happened or no?

I emailed them about it and they never reply back. ;)

Wow haha..

Reading this whole thread sort of made me chuckle, because I had completely forgotten A-squared existed up until reading this.

Kudos to Marcin and all involved for handling this very professionally.

Hmmph, wonderful support there :/

I emailed them about it and they never reply back. ;)

I emailed them about it and they never reply back. :angry:

And they shouldn't. This is between the management of the two software companies and those who received the messages and possibly the owners of whatever forums the messages were sent at for abusing the message system.

While it was a bad move and I am also highly disappointed (I like the team at a-squared) it has been dealt with. Trying to rub it in just turns it into something childish and nobody but Marcin really should have a right to demand an apology or even a reply.

And they shouldn't. This is between the management of the two software companies and those who received the messages and possibly the owners of whatever forums the messages were sent at for abusing the message system.

While it was a bad move and I am also highly disappointed (I like the team at a-squared) it has been dealt with. Trying to rub it in just turns it into something childish and nobody but Marcin really should have a right to demand an apology or even a reply.

That comment was made on the issue of removing system files as a false positive, not the topic of this thread

Because the original topic of this thread has been dealt with properly, I will now close this thread.