very slow scan

Attempted to run a Full Scan on an old WinXP which has 512mb memory and with all programs turned off it froze the mouse so could not hit Pause Scan. The next day it was still running 14 hours later when it had to be stopped with reboot. Using Version 1.39 -- the last time it was run was a few months ago was a prior version and no difficulty.

Any info as to how to correct this would be appreciated.

Welcome to Malwarebytes, You might want to consider a CHKDSK & Dfrag, have you has a virus on that pc before? and what connection type do you have? Any AV/Firewall software?... browser is? The folks here will try to fix your problem...regards...

Thank you. Ran CHKDSK & Defraggler 7/19 prior to making a True Image backup. Have DSL 1.5mb and use AVG antivirus. Had PC Tools firewall and it was uninstalled a few days ago to speed things up -- and tried Malwarebytes subsequent with same result. (have a physical router, so probably unecessary.) Browser is Firefox 3.5.1. on WinXP, SP2. No virus for many years, and AVG is always on and recently ran it which was clean.

It is 5-year-old computer with 512mb 84-pin rambus and can't afford to add that expensive stuff to this old computer so am holding out until year end for Win7 before buying new computer. It's an Intel D650EMV2L P4, 533Mhz with 2.5G 533Mhz cpu. Still fast enough to keep up withe the crowd.

files you need your AV/Firewall for mbam to trust

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref (Windows 2000/XP)

you will have to get your AVG & Firewall to accept the above files!

Do this for starters, report back after you get the above files in please, then run a Quick scan on Malwarebytes

any questions so far?

Just jumping in here - did you clean out your temp files first?

ATF cleaner by Atribune can do this for you - it cleans Firefox, Opera, and Internet Explorer browser temp files as well as windows temp files. This will help to speed up the scanning process.

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

click on the above link, and then click on the red text:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Note, if you use Firefox and you would like to keep your saved passwords, uncheck the delete saved passwords checkbox.

As for disabling your AV temporarily to scan, you could try this if you want to. Just make sure that you DISCONNECT from the internet first!! Also, I am not sure if you tried this yet or not, but try closing out any unnecessary programs and try not to be surfing the web or anything while you're scanning - it can slow down the scanning process.

Do you have a lot of files on your system?? Scans can take longer if you have numerous files, which is another reason its a good idea to use a temp file cleaner :)

Thanks, but I don't have a firewall. Only the hardware router. If there's a problem with AVG antivirus running at the same time, I can shut that down.

Thanks, but I don't have a firewall. Only the hardware router. If there's a problem with AVG antivirus running at the same time, I can shut that down.

you have AVG? you have to configure it to trust malwarebyte files, does AVG have a resident shield?

one more time please:

files you need your AV/Firewall for mbam to trust

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref (Windows 2000/XP)

Pleas post back with your results....regards...

FYI, the site is not legible in Firefox 3.5.1 -- lines/rows run together:

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Also Firefox was greyed out so couldn't unselect passwords. Ran it anyway and they remain.

Wasn't aware that it also cleaned out the recycle bin; good thing I recently did a backup and cleared all but the newer files. Also FYI, in Firefox I use an extension that cleans the memory & disk cache. Also in Thunderbird use an an extension that empties the trash & compacts folders. And the win temp was cleaned today as was docs & settings/user/local settings/temp, so not much left for your program to do!

There are 37gb on 2 partitions on 1 drive of many many files and when malwarebytes is running I can see that it takes a considerable length of time to go through each file -- up to 25 seconds.

Ran a Quick Scan which took 61 minutes to run thru 100,000 files. All programs were off including AVG. (And it didn't find anything wrong.) The Logitech mouse was frozen most of the time, but not always.

Then started a Full Scan and let it run for 29 minutes through 28,000 files (twice as fast as last time). However, the mouse was frozen and I had a devil of a time stopping the scan.

It would appear that my computer is not built to run this program, so guess I'll use the others currently on the computer which I run prior to bi-weekly backup CCleaner, Spybot, Adaware, CW Shredder & hijack this. Presumably those along with AVG always running in the background should suffice, along with my awareness of poor sites which I don't open, and exe email attachments not opened.

FYI, didn't have this difficulty with prior version of Malwarebytes.

Thanks for the help.

Miles

Oop sorry about the recycle bin thing. I didn't mention it because most people don't want whats in there.

good thing you had a back up :)

Do you have an alternate browser that you can get to atf cleaner with?

atf cleaner might not work with the new FF yet.

Hmmm. Don't give up on Malwarebytes though, new version to come out next week most likely :) Maybe that will fix your problem.

Let's see what yardbird has to say, I don't really know what else could be the problem, unfortunately.

You're welcome, I'm sorry that I couldn't' be more helpful.

Below is the log from running process explorer. 2 items I question are:

1) Why is Adaware there when I've turned off auto updates? I've heard that this program can cause problems in others.

2) Have no idea what the small Google Crash Handler is - To my knowledge I'm not running any google programs.

3) AVG remains even though it's shut down at the moment.

4) Don't believe this log shows the ram usage which is about 85%.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name Window Status User Name Path Version

System Idle Process 0 98.46 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

smss.exe 692 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\smss.exe 5.1.2600.2180

csrss.exe 740 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe 5.1.2600.2180

winlogon.exe 768 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe 5.1.2600.2180

services.exe 812 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe 5.1.2600.3520

svchost.exe 976 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180

unsecapp.exe 3020 WMI Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe 5.1.2600.0

wmiprvse.exe 3312 WMI Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe 5.1.2600.3520

svchost.exe 1040 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180

svchost.exe 1164 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180

wuauclt.exe 2232 Windows Update Automatic Updates Microsoft Corporation BODEGA\Miles C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe 7.2.6001.788

svchost.exe 1216 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180

AAWService.exe 1388 Ad-Aware Service Application Lavasoft NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe 8.0.0.0

spoolsv.exe 288 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe 5.1.2600.2696

schedul2.exe 888 Acronis Scheduler 2 Acronis NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe 1.0.0.240

avgwdsvc.exe 1276 AVG Watchdog Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe 8.5.0.300

avgrsx.exe 1596 AVG Resident Shield Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe 8.5.0.336

avgnsx.exe 1652 AVG Network scanner Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe 8.5.0.316

svchost.exe 1712 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180

snmp.exe 2196 SNMP Service Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\snmp.exe 5.1.2600.3038

svchost.exe 2248 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180

avgemc.exe 2348 AVG E-Mail Scanner AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe 8.5.0.385

avgcsrvx.exe 2588 AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe 8.5.0.300

alg.exe 3408 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE C:\WINDOWS\system32\alg.exe 5.1.2600.2180

lsass.exe 824 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe 5.1.2600.2180

explorer.exe 396 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation Running BODEGA\Miles C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe 6.0.2900.3156

EM_EXEC.EXE 716 Logitech Events Handler Application Logitech Inc. BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\EM_EXEC.EXE 9.79.25.1

CLI.exe 728 CLI Application (Command Line Interface) ATI Technologies Inc. BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe 1.11.0.0

CLI.exe 2032 CLI Application (Command Line Interface) ATI Technologies Inc. BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe 1.11.0.0

WFXSWTCH.exe 724 BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\WinFax\WFXSWTCH.exe

WFXSNT40.EXE 892 Delrina Fax Port Launcher Microsoft Corporation BODEGA\Miles C:\WINDOWS\system32\WFXSNT40.EXE 7.0.0.0

TrueImageMonitor.exe 1008 Acronis True Image Monitor Acronis BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe 10.0.0.4942

TimounterMonitor.exe 1312 Monitor for Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer Acronis BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe 3.3.0.444

schedhlp.exe 1156 Acronis Scheduler Helper Acronis BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe 1.0.0.240

procexp.exe 3624 1.54 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com Running BODEGA\Miles D:\Downloads\Downloads For Install-Working\procexp.exe 11.33.0.0

GoogleCrashHandler.exe 488 Google Installer Google Inc. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\Program Files\Google\Update\1.2.183.7\GoogleCrashHandler.exe 1.2.183.7

EM_EXEC.EXE 948 Logitech Events Handler Application Logitech Inc. BODEGA\Miles C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\EM_EXEC.EXE 9.79.25.1

Today upgraded to 1.4.0 from 1.39 and no change. Mouse still frozen, same slow speed, and was very difficult to stop full scan. Hence uninstalled and perhaps will try it again next year when I have a new computer -- obviously it's designed for modern large amounts of ram!

Miles