Cannot run Malwarebytes nor HiJackThis

I had originally posted this post on another section of the forum, which I recieved a reply to that told me to try and run Malwarebytes as well as HiJackThis. Upon opening both of these programs they both shut down several seconds after attempting to run a scan. My original post was

"Hello,

Recently my computer was infected with the green Av 2009 virus/trojan/etc. When I was first infected I tried to run Malwarebytes and it would open up and I would attemp to begin scanning my computer. However after 3-4 seconds the program would completely close down and if I attempted to restart it I would get the message " Windows cannot access the specified path, file or device. You may not have the appropiate permissions to access the item." After uninstalling and reinstalling I would still get that message. So I decieded to go onto the internet to try and find a solution. After looking at several different pages telling to delete certain files like GAV.exe, and Greenav2009.exe and several others from the registry I thought I would be able to run Malwarebytes. Since my computer is no longer seemingly being infected by the Green Av virus(no longer recieving fake virus scan alerts or pop ups) I thought that Malwarebytes would be able to run. So I attempted to run it again and the exact same thing happens that I mentioned above. Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thank you "

So basically Malwarebytes and HiJackThis both give me the message "Windows cannot access the specified path, file or device. You may not have the appropiate permissions to access the item". I am utterly lost and unsure what to do, any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Also as the "What to do if I am Infected" page suggested I downloaded Avira AntiVir Personal and it is able to run and do scans.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

My name is Extremeboy, and I will help you with your log.

Please continue with running a scan with RootRepeal, followed by DDS, a scanner tool. If those don't work as well, let me know.

You seem to have one of the newer rootkits active on your machine. We'll confirm that from running the scans below.

--

Download and run RootRepeal CR

Please download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.

• Unzip the RootRepeal.zip file it to it's own folder. (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror to download RootRepeal).
  • Close/Disable all other programs especially your security programs (anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall) Refer to this page, if you are unsure how.
  • Physically disconnect your machine from the internet as your system will be unprotected.
  • Double-click on RootRepeal.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, please right-click and run as Administrator...
  • Click the reportTab.png tab at the bottom.
  • Now press the btnScan.png button.
  • A box will pop up, check the boxes beside All Seven options/scan area
    RR_checkbox.jpg
  • Now click OK.
  • Another box will open, check the boxes beside all the drives, eg : C:\, then click OK.
  • The scan will take a little while to run, so let it go unhindered.
  • Once it is done, click the Save Report button. saveReport.png
  • Save it as RepealScan and save it to your desktop
  • Reconnect to the internet.
  • Post the contents of that log in your reply please.

Download and run DDS

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.

[*]Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.

[*]A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.

[*]Notepad will open with the results soon.

[*]Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results and then click Ok.

[*]The black and message box window shall then disappear.

[*]Please save both log files on your desktop and post the DDS.txt and zip up and attach Attach.txt as instructed.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

Also, please provide a description of any remaining problems or symptoms you may still have please.

With Regards,

Extremeboy

Hello and welcome to the forum!

My name is Extremeboy, and I will help you with your log.

Please continue with running a scan with RootRepeal, followed by DDS, a scanner tool. If those don't work as well, let me know.

You seem to have one of the newer rootkits active on your machine. We'll confirm that from running the scans below.

--

Download and run RootRepeal CR

Please download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.

• Unzip the RootRepeal.zip file it to it's own folder. (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror to download RootRepeal).
  • Close/Disable all other programs especially your security programs (anti-spyware, anti-virus, and firewall) Refer to this page, if you are unsure how.
  • Physically disconnect your machine from the internet as your system will be unprotected.
  • Double-click on RootRepeal.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, please right-click and run as Administrator...
  • Click the reportTab.png tab at the bottom.
  • Now press the btnScan.png button.
  • A box will pop up, check the boxes beside All Seven options/scan area
    RR_checkbox.jpg
  • Now click OK.
  • Another box will open, check the boxes beside all the drives, eg : C:\, then click OK.
  • The scan will take a little while to run, so let it go unhindered.
  • Once it is done, click the Save Report button. saveReport.png
  • Save it as RepealScan and save it to your desktop
  • Reconnect to the internet.
  • Post the contents of that log in your reply please.

Download and run DDS

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.

[*]Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.

[*]A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.

[*]Notepad will open with the results soon.

[*]Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results and then click Ok.

[*]The black and message box window shall then disappear.

[*]Please save both log files on your desktop and post the DDS.txt and zip up and attach Attach.txt as instructed.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

Also, please provide a description of any remaining problems or symptoms you may still have please.

With Regards,

Extremeboy

After reading your message I downloaded both of programs and attempted to run them after having shut off the anti virus things I thought I had running, which was only Avira Antivir personal, and after I attempted to run them they shut down after several seconds. When I try and run RootRepeal I get that message that I mentioned in my first post "Windows cannot access the specified file, path, device...etc" and when I try and open DDS a black screen comes up for a second but then just shuts backs down. Not really sure what to do now. Other symptoms that my comp is having is that on Internet Explorer it will sometimes automatically redirect me to random pages. Also several programs that are not virus/trojan/whatever will not work, the task manager just has them not responding. Firefox also was not allowing me to search on it, saying something along the lines that the pages was unsafe for viewing, then it would redirect me to a Green AV 2009 Page.

-Thanks

Hello.

Regarding that error for permission problem do the following....

Please download Inherit by sUBs and save it onto your desktop

1. Drag and drop the RootRepeal.exe onto Inherit
  2. This shall restore permissions to the application
  3. You will then receive an Ok message from Inherit.
  4. Press Ok.

Now, try running RootRepeal again and see if it works.

Run, Win32KDiag as well...

Download and Run Win32KDiag

Please download Win32Diag from one of the links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

1. Double-click on Win32Diag.exe to run it. If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click and select Run As Administrator
  2. A black command prompt window shall appear.
  3. It will now begin to scan. This may take a while, please be paitent until the scan is complete.
  4. Once it's done, in the black screen it will say "Finished! Press any key to exit.... Press any key to exit.
  5. A log file called Win32KDiag.txt will be created on your desktop.
  6. Please copy and paste the contents of that log file here in your next reply please.

With Regards,

Extremeboy

I did what you said using that Inherit program and after dropping the rootrepeel.exe onto it said OK and I was able to run the program again. However the same thing happened once I started the scan with the program, it started to scan for maybe a minute or two but then it shut down and the exe was a broken link again. After that I downloaded Win32Diag and ran it like you said. I let it scan for a while but then it seemed to stop and do nothing, and it had made a notepad file on my desktop, without ever telling me it was finished. Here is that log.

Log file is located at: C:\Documents and Settings\KYLE\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'...

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB904706\KB904706

Mount point destination : \Device\__max++>\^

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB912812\KB912812

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB912945\KB912945

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB916281\KB916281

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB918899\KB918899

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB920213\KB920213

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB922760\KB922760

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB924496\KB924496

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB931784\KB931784

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB932168\KB932168

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB939653\KB939653

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB941568\KB941568

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB943460\KB943460

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\temp\temp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\tmp\tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Config\Config

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Connection Wizard\Connection Wizard

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d1\d1

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d2\d2

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d3\d3

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d4\d4

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d5\d5

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d6\d6

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d7\d7

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\CSC\d8\d8

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\imejp\applets\applets

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\imejp98\imejp98

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\imjp8_1\applets\applets

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\imkr6_1\applets\applets

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\imkr6_1\dicts\dicts

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\shared\res\res

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\java\classes\classes

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\java\trustlib\trustlib

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Temporary ASP.NET Files\Bind Logs\Bind Logs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\Bind Logs\Bind Logs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\msapps\msinfo\msinfo

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\batch\batch

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Config\CheckPoint\CheckPoint

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Config\News\News

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\HelpFiles\HelpFiles

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\InstalledSKUs\InstalledSKUs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\System\DFS\DFS

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Temp\Temp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Registration\CRMLog\CRMLog

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\AuthCabs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\355f788b6de8a3ec79e9aa172e6317f1\backup\backup

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Registered\Registered

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\solcache\solcache

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\Deployment\Deployment

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\1025\1025

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\1028\1028

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\1031\1031

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\1037\1037

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\1041\1041

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\1042\1042

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\1054\1054

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\2052\2052

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\3076\3076

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\3com_dmi\3com_dmi

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\appmgmt\MACHINE\MACHINE

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\appmgmt\S-1-5-21-2653373980-243759535-807481938-1005\S-1-5-21-2653373980-243759535-807481938-1005

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Google\Plugin\Plugin

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Identities\{4E3254D7-522A-412A-9296-3F4767B3A2CB}\{4E3254D7-522A-412A-9296-3F4767B3A2CB}

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\TSTRY59S\TSTRY59S

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Macromedia\Shockwave Player\DswMedia\DswMedia

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Macromedia\Shockwave Player\Prefs\VYLF9B8W\VYLF9B8W

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\S-1-5-21-2653373980-243759535-807481938-500\S-1-5-21-2653373980-243759535-807481938-500

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\S-1-5-21-343818398-1004336348-839522115-500\S-1-5-21-343818398-1004336348-839522115-500

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\Media Player

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\MMC\MMC

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates\Certificates

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\CRLs\CRLs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\CTLs\CTLs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Templates

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Real\Msg\Msg

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\javaws\cache\cache

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\BVRP Software\NetWaiting\NetWaiting

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop\7a4eb1c54578\7a4eb1c54578

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\CD Burning

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\S-1-5-21-2653373980-243759535-807481938-500\S-1-5-21-2653373980-243759535-807481938-500

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\S-1-5-21-343818398-1004336348-839522115-500\S-1-5-21-343818398-1004336348-839522115-500

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Money\15.0\Webcache\Webcache

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Musicmatch\Jukebox\Cache\Cache

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp\Temp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\NetHood\NetHood

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\PrintHood\PrintHood

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\dhcp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\disdn\disdn

Cannot access: C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventlog.dll

[1] 2004-08-10 03:00:00 55808 C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\eventlog.dll (Microsoft Corporation)

Thanks

Hello.

Let's run Combofix. If there's any problems with it, please let me know before hand and stop.

Download and Run ComboFix

Note to readers of this post other than the starter of this thread:

ComboFix is a VERY POWERFUL tool which should NOT BE USED without guidance of an expert.

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1

Link 2

Please refer to this page for full instructions on how to run ComboFix.

• Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double click ComboFix.exe to start the program. Agree to the prompts.
  • When ComboFix is finished, a log report (C:\ComboFix.txt) will open. Post back with it.

Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.

ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may call it to stall.

~Extremeboy

Hello.

That might be a better idea. You had a rootkit/backdoor infection on board here.

Regarding rootkits...

Rootkits and backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. You should change each password by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control before connect again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

---

Below is some prevention tips. Then, the topic will be closed.

Preventing Infections in the Future

Please also have a look at the following links, giving some advice and Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:

[*]Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a sm

Hello.

Since the problem appears to be resolved, this topic is now Closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please Send Me a Private Message. In your message please include the address of this thread in your request.

This applies only to the original topic starter

Everyone else please start a new topic in the Hijackthis-Malware Removal Forum

Thanks.

With Regards,

Extremeboy