HOBOcs

Run time Error 5 - Verion 140

7 posts in this topic

WinXP Home with SP3

In the process of cleaning up from "Personal Antivirus" "rogue Virurs"

Getting this error when running Malwarebytes:- Full or quick scan.

"Run-time Error '5' Invalid procedure call or argument" error

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes (version 1.40).

Tried running "mbam-clean.exe" rebooting and reinstalling latest malwarebytes.

Other:

List of files being scanned stops at windows/system32/zipfldr.dll

Tried renaming this (new on gets created right away)

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not

Have run Combofix and Advanced System Care

Have run SFC, Chkdsk and AVG 8.5 .... all to resolve initial issue.

I've seen a few posts (not a lot on the runtime error) so I'm wondering if this is a new issue.

Any help direction appreciated.

This issue is not uncommon when a computer is infected with Personal Antivirus. I would believe it comes with one of the newer variants of TDSS, and therefore most tools just won't run. If that is the case, then ComboFix will break it if ComboFix will run. If ComboFix will not run, then you need to analyze an ntbtlog and look for any drivers or services loading that are not legit, and then either write and Avenger script to delete them, or do it from a BartPE or Linux boot disk.

I've seen a few posts (not a lot on the runtime error) so I'm wondering if this is a new issue.

Any help direction appreciated.

Not sure if this is any help but to confirm that this is a problem on my computer which seems not to be related to a virus (if it is certainly no one has been able to identify it here).

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...19088&st=20

Not sure if this is any help but to confirm that this is a problem on my computer which seems not to be related to a virus (if it is certainly no one has been able to identify it here).

There is an issue that can cause error code 5, but it's rare, and unfortunately it is not repairable. In the case of the opening post in this topic, it was a known rootkit causing it. :)

There is an issue that can cause error code 5, but it's rare, and unfortunately it is not repairable.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on that? I'd be interested to know :

1) What the 'issue' is

2) Why prevents the repair.

Since I've been unable to establish any evidence of an infection it may be possible that I am suffering from the same thing so any infomation you can provide or point me to would be helpful.

thanks

Interesting. Can you elaborate on that? I'd be interested to know :

1) What the 'issue' is

2) Why prevents the repair.

Some quick details are here. As I understand it, the only way to change this is to reformat and reinstall, but I'm not sure if there is any guarantee that Windows will use the normal settings when it hadn't used them the previous time. I don't understand the issue as well as some of the other guys, but our developer who is in charge of the protection module has been working pretty hard trying to figure this one out. So far no fix has been found.

LuisCar has a different issue not related to the volume disk manager. These are all different issues.

@HOBOcs

Please follow the directions below and we'll see if we can assist you with this or not.

Scan and post logs - read note at bottom in green

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.

• Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review

• NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.