Malwarebytes & MS Security Essentials

memoemc2

Gooday mates: :)

MS released MS Security Essentials; I've have tried in a Guinea Pig PC and it performs well against malware; until now it works but only time will tell if it keeps its performance and accuracy.

I have been using Malwarebytes Antimalware two years ago. I have not had a single problem; even more, it is the only security tool which runs in real time; the other one is Spybot which scans manually (no real time)

I thing my laptop configuration is OK but I have read that Malwarebytes should be a complement of a security suit, so

1- Can Malwarebytes and MS Security Essentials run together in real time? Do they interfere between them selves reducing its performance?

2- What is the Malwarebytes Antimalware Team assessment for MS Security Essentials?

together

Thank you,

Memo

Greetings :)

I know of several members here (including one of the Malwarebytes' staff) that are using MSE with MBAM in realtime and none of them have noted any conflicts between the two whatsoever :) . I have not personally used MSE, but based on all of the research I've done so far and the information I've received from those using it, it does seem to be a decent antivirus solution.

I hope I've adequately answered your questions, if you need anything else just post.

Hello again:

No buddy, that's it. :)

If an expert like you says both can run without biting to each other then I will install it in my laptop to share vigilance with Malwarebytes..... however, I trust more Malwarebytes that MS essentials

Thank you, :)

Memo.

PS

I read in ZDNet that Malwarebytes was suing IObit because those bastards :) were stealing Malwarebytes technology; what are the last news? :)

I just got some more info for you, apparently running MSE and MBAM together in realtime can cause performance issues, but I also got info on the solution:

Step 1:

Exclude the following from MSE under Processes:

• mbam.exe
  • mbamgui.exe
  • mbamservice.exe

add_exclusions_mse.png

mse_excluded_processes.png

Step 2:

Please exclude the following files from Microsoft Security Essentials:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I would also recommend excluding the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder under Program Files in your Folder Exclusions just to be safe.

mse_excluded_files.png

• 2 weeks later...

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I would also recommend excluding the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder under Program Files in your Folder Exclusions just to be safe.

Fantastic program. Fantastic info. Gold medals all around.

To be pedantic: the .ref and sys files above needs go under "Excluded files and locations" NOT "Excluded Processes" as implied in the article. & there is no Folder Exclusions object.

Picky I know but, for those less fortunate......

Thanks for every little thing ...

• 1 year later...

I also have been using MBAM and MSE for about a year now and it is the most effective security I have ever run on a PC (16 years). Norton, Spybot etcetc are way too "heavy". I have came across a recent issue though. Every program I run at some point says "Not Responding" and the system halts for a bit. I came across this post so I am going to try add the exceptions and will post my results shortly.

I also have been using MBAM and MSE for about a year now and it is the most effective security I have ever run on a PC (16 years). Norton, Spybot etcetc are way too "heavy". I have came across a recent issue though. Every program I run at some point says "Not Responding" and the system halts for a bit. I came across this post so I am going to try add the exceptions and will post my results shortly.

Looks to have solved my problem so far. Thanks alot.

PS MBAM is great.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that almost 13 months passed between posts on this subject. MSE had a major update during that time. For a year I used the paid version of MBAM along with ESET NOD32. During that time MSE kept getting great reviews from respected users. My ESET license expired, so I am giving MSE a try. Until reading this thread I was confused about running both of them together properly. In my rudimentary testing, MSE misses some threats that MBAM catches, so I really want to run both together.

I'm extremely happy to find this information. Details from Microsoft are slim on running MSE with other software.

• 3 months later...

I have been running MSE for many months. No resource issues or infections. Previously used AVG (often hogged resources) and then SuperAntiSpy (good experience) after AVG suggested I try SAS to rid a coworker's laptop of an infection that AVG missed.

I switched to MSE when renewal came up for SAS. On Friday I got TDSS by clicking on a link on a site...Chrome crashed and then seconds later the fake scanner started.

MS Support had me download and run MWB and told me I was all set...MWB did immediately stop TDSS but all my files were hidden and Start menu is empty.

I gladly bought MWB and now hoping to get help on the MWB Forum and in the meantime researching if I should drop MSE or if I could use both. I will try both based on what I read here.

Hi MalwareBytes Dudes!

Hope your all well people? My question is about running MBAM with MSE on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

I was using avast! but I got infected using them and after using 'ComboFix' to remove the rootkik bundle('searchqu'), I had been told by someone at 'Whatthetech' to use Malwarebytes or MSE instead. I was lookin into running my new MSE with MBAM, hearing these two were the best, I seached to see if it was possible to run them together and I came across this page so I followed your instructions on how to 'Exclude processes' at MSE but the problem with my Win7 ultimate is I can only get to the first top 3 exclusions, the other 3 lower ones including this one and down aren't there? C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

I've excluded Malwarebytes from program files too but I'm wondering if it would be ok to run fine as it is or do I need to add some more of those exclusions? I tried copying & pasting the individual exclusions into the add box but it doesn't work. I think because my OS is so new its different so I can't find the other exclusions like the one ending 'rules.ref' in 'ProgramData'? In my 'programdata' there's only Malwarebytes, if I click that only 1 opens up called 'malewarebytes antimalware' and I also can't find the 'windows32 divers' bit either so can't do those last 3 exclusions?

Can you help me please? Many thanks in advance :-)

All the best,

Rob.

Greetings :)

The only exclusions necessary for MSE are fully documented in Section I of our FAQ located here :).

Please let us know if you have any further questions or issues.

Thankyou v.much, I had done those ones and now I've excluded MSE from MBAM, as in your instructions at the linked page, so all is good. You know I had no problems even without the exclusions, they ran fine for the little while I ran them together without the exclusions.

Thanks again, all the best, Rob.

MSE and Malwarebytes are definately an excellent combination!

Yes I feel much more confident about my comp being safe now, I'd heard about Malwarebytes being recommended by people in the know for a while now, and running it safely with MSE can only be better, so thanks for your help guys, very pleased!

All the best, Rob.

Thankyou v.much, I had done those ones and now I've excluded MSE from MBAM, as in your instructions at the linked page, so all is good. You know I had no problems even without the exclusions, they ran fine for the little while I ran them together without the exclusions.
You're welcome :)

Yes, they usually aren't required with the latest version of MSE, but I have seen it at least slightly improve system performance/responsiveness and it will help to ensure that you don't encounter any future potential compatibility issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Can MSE be used as an on-demand scanner without the real-time protection on?

Im using norton internet secirity.

But i would like if possible to use MSE as an on demand scanner.

Thank you.

I do not think MSE will allow you to do that only. Also you should know that having to anti-virus programs active at the same time will cause conflicts...

If all you require is a scanner for a second opinion, you may use Microsoft's Safety Scanner.

Another truly wonderful "second opinion" scanner is from surfright.nl called hitman pro. Not only do they they use interesting "offline" techniques but also were effectively eradicating that nasty low-level Alureon malware before quite a few others'.