proper way to download the free malwarebytes?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their selection is limited and deluxe compared to most. Or should we say different business model? In this context I think we should.

I know about the ads. A universal pain. Can argue site design which often show motive behind the interest in software! or just crappy script or skills. Ads does not have to be annoying. Was actually thinking content, downloads - handpicked and tested or not. I would not whitewash Majorgeeks as "clean", "reputable", "recommended" in that respect. Pretty obvious really. Dont see how anyone can. Well dive in. Truth is the business they are in is as much marketing as it is servicing your needs so a bit complicated.

UniBlue was just showing my love affair with that site is old :) The approval of advertising of crap while being ever so focused on "quality". My hmm has more to do with how they promote themselves and think they are better than anyone else, esepcially cnet which is the largest "competitor". In case you have not noticed they often promote Malwarebytes heavily, also has big removal forum = many friends at places like hmm this! =r I have said what I hopefully can get away with :) Not worse but not better either.

@ mbyuser

Yeah, unfortunately they all could potentially have nasties on them at any given time. :)

You just gotta be careful, have up-to-date software, and have downloading smarts :)

I don't download anything now unless I know for a fact that its legit & safe. Or if someone that I trust to give accurate and safe links on this forum here gives me a link to download something. Those are pretty much the two instances that I will ever download anything now, with maybe an exception or two.

@ js9600

I understand what you are saying there, and it makes a lot of sense :)

I wasn't necessarily saying that MG has 100% clean/safe advertisements and/or programs available for download on their site.

The reason why I prefer them is

a) the ads are not as big/annoying/confusing

b ) Exile (one of our experts here) recommended to me that I use them instead of download.com. One experience that he had with MajorGeeks is his Kaspersky gave him an alert that the page he was visiting was infested with a Trojan (well actually it was an advertisement that was infected), and when he contacted them about it, they took it down quickly after, and he's never run into a problem like that since on their site. So that is definitely a good thing.

Unfortunately, nothing's perfect. I don't mind ads so much as I mind the fact that some of them are really big/flashy/annoying and most of all, could contain rogue or worse applications instead of actually getting rid of what they claim to get rid of.

Cnet/download.com claims to have tested spyware free 100% for applications, but of course I am sure that some slip through the cracks. I am not sure what MG's policy is, but hopefully something similar to or better than cnet.

No but majority is less aware and in marketing majority is most valuable target. I might think some sites take advantage of that. Ads obviously try. I don't use Adblocker for same reason, like to know what I support - not the fixed clean version. If picky about ads that can be a tough way to browse. So much easier with Adblocking.

WOT can help clear the dust, also when it comes to ads http://www.mywot.com/ Cant be trusted fully since it also has some false positives but a useful tool - and addition to practically any AV or whatever is installed. Setting it up to ignore anything but worst category pretty much get rid of false positives.

[so it brings me back to my original concern, should I download from the malwarebytes free download link which will take me to cnet.com or should I use the link

When I use this link here

I do not get redirected to a website, just a quick flash and then the box with the download asking if I want to run it. How do I know where this box comes from if it doesn

Edited by AdvancedSetup
links removed

My reply was to the one you posted before :) Cant edit. Yeah yeah I know they all stink and we all use them, heh. I was under the impression this particular site was broad forward as being so much better or even clean. Most sites have had unfortunate links I would guess.

hi CCMUA2009

I would say that either one is safe to use, but honestly I think you should just follow the directions I gave you in my first reply to you in this thread. That's what I use every time I need to download the mbam setup, and never a problem. I can give you the direct .exe link too if you'd like, so once you click it will start downloading :)

yes and to back up what js9600 just said, as long as Malwarebytes officially approves it (and they approve MG as well) then its safe to download the program from that site.

Also, I am not saying that download.com is risky necessarily; I've used it for years (mostly for AVG free and Spybot) and never had a problem. It's just that the sketchy ads bother me now, so I use MG instead :)

Also, just for the record, I am not employed by Malwarebytes; I am just a regular user like you guys. I love Malwarebyte's product, I have the PRO version, and I support them in all their efforts. They are great! I try to help out on the forums when there is something that I am able to help with too.

I gotta go soon - will continue this later, probably tomorrow :)

Using the site which you find is most pleasant to browse is probably a good tactic. One of filehippos little tricks. They go like in reverse of Softpedia, Cnet, partly Majorgeeks. Less is better (as long as it is popular) and perhaps revenue is too. Cnet has turned up the ad-volume, at least since a few years back. I dont use it much. A bit aggressive now. But again you dont see that with Adblocking! :)

so can someone from malwarebytes say ifthis link is approved?

Or can someone from malwarebytes say if it is ok and approved to use the cnet.com download?

I mean when you click the link for free download from malwarebytes.org you get taken to the cnet.com so wouldn't that mean that malwarebytes approves of that? Its the malwarebytes.org site that redirects you there.

I just really want to know the official way that malwarebytes.org wants us to download the free version

Again if anyone from malewarebytes can respond, that would be great

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Link removed

• Root Admin

No, the link is not Official. I have removed the posted links and please do not direct other users to use that link. It is there as a backup of sorts and is NOT guaranteed to be up to date just like the rules exe file we host is often not up to date.

Sites such as Download.com, CNet, MajorGeeks, Softpedia, etc are known to keep the latest version of the program and is the preferred location to download the program.

Thank you.

Here's another respected site for it:

AdvancedSetup, I'm pretty sure (really 100% sure) that the forum link I posted to is approved by Malwarebytes as a download location

I understand the other links were removed as Malwarebytes actually prefers to have users go to an external Host (stops traffic at Malwarebytes, and I think someone gets paid somewhere)

But just like MajorGeeks, the site I posted is actually a Host server approved by Malwarebytes (as is my understanding)

Can that link be placed back in?

sorry the last post of mine came out all funky

thank you Advance Setup

Sorry to make this so difficult. i use Norton as a security product real time. And the users and staff at the Norton Forums swear by malwarebytes as an on demand scanner. that is why i want to download it

So to conclude, the appropriate way ( the way malwarebytes is meant to be downloaded) is by clicking the download free version on malwarebytes.org which will then take me to cnet.com to downlaod the malwarebytes program?

This should be a safe way to install malwarebytes? And the malwarebytes program that comes via cnet.com should be free and clean of any virus?

ok lets nip this in the bud.

yes c.net ect has various bad downloads or rouge programs.

its not where your downloading it from in regards to your q.

it what you download.

the malwarebytes download is safe.

no need for any more links imo we are guests and should behave as such.

with good intentions i make that comment,its makes hard work for the admin. to moniter so many links.we all know by know or should do how to download malwarebyes without the added links.