Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Cryptographic Service doesn't START

molo5000

Hi,

I have obtained a used computer from a friend, a Pentium 4 with a Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

It has many problems, the source of which seems to be that the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service doesn't start.

As a consequence Windows Update, System Information, System Restore, User & Accounts control panel, printers, Windows Firewall, ActiveX, and many other things all don't work.

I can't install anything. And when I go into Device Manager, Services, or other things like that, I can't view the properties of any items.

Almost all services don't work, maybe they depend on Remote Procedure Call too?

If I go into Services (only Standard view works), I can see that Remote Procedure Call is set as "Automatic" startup type, but is not "Started" at all.

Any attempt to start it manually results in the error "Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is Denied".

1. Windows Firewall does not start up as it used to.

- Tried turning it on through the Control Panel - Windows Firewall. Error Message: "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service not running. Do you want to start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service?" If i select Yes, I get "Windows cannot start the ICS service."

- Same error occurs when I go through the Security Center.

- Trying to start the service manually results in this error: "Could not start the windows firewall connection sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

2. I use AVG as my anti-virus program. It used to boot up with the computer, but it won't work. I uninstalled it and tried to install Avira AntiVir but it can't., and tried to reinstall AVG but no joy.

3. Can't get to a Services properties. I can click properties button and do it by the right click menu but nothing happens.

4. Can't copy and or move files and paste in explorer windows.

5. Can't open an IE, no Network Icon on the Taskbar.

6. If I do Minimize any open window, it don't appear in Taskbar, so I need to use the alt-tab key to bring it back.

7. Can't drag and drop icons on the desktop or in any explorer windows. I can select them but can't move them around.

8. No matter how what I open, it does not show up on the task bar. task bar has the Clock, Quick Launch, and a whole bunch of blank space in between. If I had 6 applications up and running I'd only know of one of them due to it being up. Other than that, you have to alt-tab to see what's open.

9. System Restore does not work. Just does not work. If you try to start the service manually, you get: "Could not start the windows firewall connection sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

10. No Sound.

When I view in the "Services", only 2 programs are running. Event Viewer, and Plug and Play. The other are not running or started. When I tried to start manually (like Cryptographic service, RPC, Remote Registry, Machine Debug Manager, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, Security Center, IPSEC Services, Print Spooler, Server, and more...), I'm only got an Error message. ("Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start" and or "Error 5: Access is Denied"). I can right click the file, wanting to open the properties, but when I click the properties button, nothing happens.

I tried to use gpedit.msc, it open and I can view and browse inside, the problem is I can't modified at all. It's seam that it is locked.

I've done the chkdsk, its work and fine. But not the Disk Defragmenter, it can be open but don't work, either analyzing or defragmenting.

It seems like there should be a simple fix. ..on a BIG problem. Is there a way to do that?

I know I am forgetting to mention things that are not right or things I've tried but hopefully this can start a good discussion.

Thanks so much for the advice in advance!!!

Greetings <_<

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issues for you:

Download the following attached file and save it to your desktop: RPC_Fix.zip

You should either print or save these instructions because in Safe Mode you don't have internet access.

To boot into Safe Mode:

• Restart your computer.
  • When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
  • Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
  • Then press Enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

You should then be presented with the Windows XP Login screen. Log in to Windows and when it prompts you about Safe Mode and asks if you'd like to continue click Yes.

Once in Safe Mode find the zip file you downloaded previously and extract it, then double click on the Crypto+RPC Fix Final (Run in Safe Mode).reg file to run it and click Yes and OK when prompted, then restart your computer and allow it to boot normally.

Please let me know if the issue is resolved or not.

Thanks ;)

Hi, :)

Thanks for the reply, Exile360.

I did all what you told to me. And after it, I check the machine if there is goodnews.. but no joy! :)

Actually, that computer can't access the net, and I'm using our second machine to access the net.

By the way, after I click the YES in the first box, there is second box that pop up and says:

Registry Editor

Cannot import c:\RPC_Fix\Crypto+RPC Fix Final (Run in Safe Mode)

reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry.

Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Any tweaks maybe can help?

Thanks

Greetings :)

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issues for you:

Download the following attached file and save it to your desktop: RPC_Fix.zip

You should either print or save these instructions because in Safe Mode you don't have internet access.

To boot into Safe Mode:

• Restart your computer.
  • When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
  • Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
  • Then press Enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

You should then be presented with the Windows XP Login screen. Log in to Windows and when it prompts you about Safe Mode and asks if you'd like to continue click Yes.

Once in Safe Mode find the zip file you downloaded previously and extract it, then double click on the Crypto+RPC Fix Final (Run in Safe Mode).reg file to run it and click Yes and OK when prompted, then restart your computer and allow it to boot normally.

Please let me know if the issue is resolved or not.

Please try this to see if it helps:

Reset Default Permissions:

• Please download ResetDefaultPerms by AdvancedSetup from here and save it to your desktop
  • Close any open programs and save anything you were working on
  • Double click on restoredefaultperms.exe to run it
  • Once it completes it will restart your computer

Once your computer boots up again, try the .reg fix once more, first from Normal Mode and if that fails, try it from the Administrator account in Safe Mode.

Please let me know how it goes.

• Root Admin

Please post a new topic here in the HJT forum: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Let me know once you've posted and soon or later tonight I'll respond. Let's do some scans and verify it you have some type of infection or something interfering with this.

Thanks.

Hi exile360,

Again, I followed what you told me, I open my machine in normal mode to run the ResetDefaultPerms. 1 thing I can't do is to save it in the computer. What I did was I just make a shortcut in the desktop to run it. While it running, I notice something fishy. Because while it modified the registry/files, it became FAILED too. And almost 80,000 files! I don't know if that normal or what...

After it finished I follow to run the RPC Fix. Now it was successful to write in the registry. Then I reboot again in normal mode to check the machine, but it was still the same as before.

Now I reboot it again in Safe mode and run the RPC Fix. Here to was successful to write in the registry. then I restart again in normal mode to check again, But NO JOY!

I will try now to run the Hijackthis. I will post the result later in new forum of HJT.

Thanks Again for your Help!

Please try this to see if it helps:

Reset Default Permissions:

• Please download ResetDefaultPerms by AdvancedSetup from here and save it to your desktop
  • Close any open programs and save anything you were working on
  • Double click on restoredefaultperms.exe to run it
  • Once it completes it will restart your computer

Once your computer boots up again, try the .reg fix once more, first from Normal Mode and if that fails, try it from the Administrator account in Safe Mode.

Please let me know how it goes.