Malwarebytes - conflict with VIPRE Enterprise

I am currently evaluating VIPRE Enterprise (by Sunbelt Software) and there is a conflict with this product and Malwarebytes Protection Module.

It basically renders my PC useless for 2-5 minutes after login. I have excluded all files for Malwarebytes in this product but there is still an issue. I removed Malwarebytes and the issue is resolved. :lol:

Is there a way to use the IGNORE.DAT file to put in paths to the Vipre Enterprise clients software to ignore it? If so do you just enter the paths on separate lines?

I would really like to get this working as I have the paid version of your product and use it regularly. :)

Thanks.

Hello Chris_Triella, and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

We do not have detailed instructions on Viper and how to add exclusions, but here are the files that need to be excluded. Go over them and make sure you have excluded all of them.

Also what operating system are you using?

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Hi Firefox,

Thanks for the welcome and information. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

I did add all the exclusions you listed to the Vipre Enterprise via the Policy in the Console. It did not help.

After the uninstall of MBAM is when the issue was corrected. This is also the reason for my question about the IGNORE.DAT file and whether it can be manually populated with paths to programs to exclude. Maybe that is where I can resolve this conflict.

Any other help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris -

This is also the reason for my question about the IGNORE.DAT file and whether it can be manually populated with paths to programs to exclude. Maybe that is where I can resolve this conflict.

As a general reply , you can add almost any item in your A/V exclusions if it helps (unless it allows infections in) - I would try it for a short time and if you clear the problem up then leave it in the exclusions - As you seem to know what you are doing please let us know your results -

Vipre and Norton are about the only 2 we do not have a set of instructions for yet - We are always working on this -

Thank You - :lol:

I have added the exclusions required based on other AV products and from Firefox's post above but there is still an issue. The only way for me to clear it up is to remove MBAM which I don't like but will do for now.

Somehow the real time module for MBAM is either conflicting or using resources when the Vipre services starts and is running at logon. I am not sure if there are exclusions in MBAM which is my reason for asking about the ignore.dat file.

Anyway not sure what to do here and need help.

Please contact the Help Desk and they should be able to assist you in trying some corrective measures.

You can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Thank you.

Chris, Malwarebytes appears to be the best at catching malware thus far. I Have been evaluating a couple other products (was considering Viper) as well and they have been hit and miss. Are you finding Malwarebytes isn't catching some items? After testing for a little while with a mix of products, I'm coming to the conclusion that I may need to have multiple anti-malware tools.

Chris, Malwarebytes appears to be the best at catching malware thus far. I Have been evaluating a couple other products (was considering Viper) as well and they have been hit and miss. Are you finding Malwarebytes isn't catching some items? After testing for a little while with a mix of products, I'm coming to the conclusion that I may need to have multiple anti-malware tools.

I really like MBAM and that is why I bought it. Just that Vipre which I am evaluating does not work well with MBAM especially during startup. They conflict somehow and it locks my PC for 2-5 minutes after login. I removed MBAM merely because of this. If I can find a way for both to play nice trust me it is going back on. :lol:

I will contact support via the email address above. Thanks.

Well I have gotten the problem figured out. I excluded the files required from the post that Firefox made within the VIPRE Enterprise console settings for the policy that I created.

I then reinstalled MBAM but this time I left the service set to the Delayed Start option within Windows 7. Previously I had modified the service to just Automatic instead of Automatic (Delayed Start).

It seems that MBAM and Vipre play nice now that MBAM is delayed in starting. :)

Just FYI for any that use or are evaluating VIPRE Enterprise. Also this does not seem to happen with the Consumer version of VIPRE as I have that at home with MBAM and no conflicts since day one and the service for MBAM is set to Automatic. :lol:

Well it seems that it is not worked out 100% as I experienced the issue this morning again. I am working with Support to get this resolved.

Will post further once fixed. :)

I'm wondering if it's a similar problem to the one many people (me included) are having with the new AVAST 5 and MBAM real-time...

Hello Francois -

As a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

This problem has been noted - The new Version #5 of Avast has caused a few minor problems, but if the exclusions are again checked you may overcome this problem - When updating your A/V always check that your exclusions are added -

Thank You - :)

@ Chris -

I am currently evaluating VIPRE Enterprise (by Sunbelt Software)

Please ensure it is also excluded from any VIPRE firewall - They mention this on their forum as a Must Check -

It may be best to have you contact support directly by emailing support@sunbeltsoftware.com so we can collect a diagnostics from your VIPRE installation to get a better idea of what exactly is causing the problem.

This last quote is from Nick H - Senior Admin at VIPRE forum -

@ Chris -

Please ensure it is also excluded from any VIPRE firewall - They mention this on their forum as a Must Check -

This last quote is from Nick H - Senior Admin at VIPRE forum -

I don't have the version of VIPRE that includes the firewall so there is no exclusions required and I have excluded the appropriate files within the Console already.

Yes I have already contacted and gone through diagnostics with Sunbelt support. :)

I have managed to correct the issue by unchecking an option in the Real-time protection for VIPRE - "Scan files on open or close". This seems to have relieved the problem. They recommend disabling it all together and just using the MBAM realtime protection but I don't have the performance issues now since this option is the most extreme setting for the Vipre realtime protection module. :)

All is well again. :)

Hello Francois -

As a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Thanks.

I did contact Support in the past but was redirected here in most cases, so it seems simpler to come here directly.

:)

My AV is in fact Avira, and I don't have any problems with MBAM.

I tried AVAST 5 since I liked 4.8, but since it doesn't work with MBAM real-time on my machine, I'm waiting to give it another shot.

Best regards,

Fran

• 2 months later...

Update:

I'm now running VIPRE a/v. (the regular version)

With MBAM real-time enabled, MBAMservice uses a lot of CPU cycles, so there seems to be some kind of conflict between VIPRE active protection and MBAM real-time protection.

(yes, I did the exclusions in VIPRE, and it seems we can't exlude processes in MBAM)

So it seems I have the choice of running only one of them in real-time, and the other on-demand... :)

Which one should I keep as the real-time scanner?

And which one should be "patched" to run well with the other?...

TIA,

Fran

@noknojon:

I'm using the straight a/v, not the Premium with the FW, so I don't have update problems.

@YoKenny1:

My problem is not a memory one, it's a CPU usage one which causes a system slowdown.

MBAM real-time and VIPRE are obviously fighting each other.