Weather Bug

http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

it's not something you want to have your computer

MBAM is aggressive, it needs to be, IMHO

Hi there and welcome to Malwarebytes. This thread is for discussion of the newest version of MBAM. Weatherbug was once considered adware and I agree totally it's not something you want. I don't think any software targets it any longer as malware. I'm going to slide you over to the General Malwarebytes forum and we can go from there.

Hi there and welcome to Malwarebytes. This thread is for discussion of the newest version of MBAM. Weatherbug was once considered adware and I agree totally it's not something you want. I don't think any software targets it any longer as malware. I'm going to slide you over to the General Malwarebytes forum and we can go from there.

thanks and sorry about posting it there but to put this back in context, it would seem that the newest version is targeting weatherbug as malware

I don't think any software targets it any longer as malware.

so does this make it a false postitive

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/M...G.EXE-3158.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...ost&p=15827

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=M...G=Google+Search

Aside from building the MBAM batabase I also do home user IT .

There are a decent number of people that have wanted me not to remove Weather Bug .

IMO Weather Bug is not far enough over the line to be targeted and if I added it I would without question get a lot of reports of it being detected as a FP . It has a functional uninstaller , that is what should be used .

This already happened with the Weather Channel app that installs with hotbar . I had to remove it from defs because of numerous complaints .

I guess you are damned if you, damned if you don't, I just ran a scan on a toshiba vista laptop and hit a few hundred

Mywaymywebsearch items, did a search on google and over at bleeping and went to add/remove and found some odd name

for the program, did an uninstall and then rescanned and found only 6 orphan registry entries.

There's no such thing as a nobrainer scanner, too many grey areas

Thanks for the great program

Myway was just over the line for two reasons .

1. It installs with just about everything .

2. I have never had a case with home users where they did not want me to remove it .

Thanks BTW , it is good to get user feedback good , bad and suggestions .

DaChew - you might look at using Weather Watcher as a replacement app for a desktop weather app - great features, actively developed, and it uses data from TWC.

If you still prefer data from WeatherBug, which Mike, the developer of WW, has realized is much more willing to listen to him for enhancements and optimization, check out the new (still in Beta) Weather Watcher Live - some of the features available in WW are not yet finalized in WWL, but overall is a great app.

Also, be aware that SiteAdvisor has marked the site as malicious, but it is not in fact malicious at all - but don't get me started ranting on the idiocy of the SiteAdvisor ratings system....

• 1 year later...

:) (JimNALL) So are you saying use WeatherBug Live if MBAM reports weatherbug site (66.235.126.71) as malicious and blicks it?

DaChew - you might look at using Weather Watcher as a replacement app for a desktop weather app - great features, actively developed, and it uses data from TWC.

If you still prefer data from WeatherBug, which Mike, the developer of WW, has realized is much more willing to listen to him for enhancements and optimization, check out the new (still in Beta) Weather Watcher Live - some of the features available in WW are not yet finalized in WWL, but overall is a great app.

Also, be aware that SiteAdvisor has marked the site as malicious, but it is not in fact malicious at all - but don't get me started ranting on the idiocy of the SiteAdvisor ratings system....