Unable to run MBAM (Normal or Safe Mode)

I have now updated to XP Service pack 3 and created a new Restore point.

I have also read this suggested post - So how did I get infected in the first place?

I just have a few questions :-

I have been using FF as a browser for sometime, I still got infected, is Opera or Safari a worthy browser ??.

Is it worth clearing all the Temp folders, is there a command that will do all of these, including any hidden Temp folders ??.

I'm using ZoneAlaram as a Firewall, should I change it to eg. 'Online Armor' or 'Outpost' ??.

I've only used the laptop for a short time, and it does seem to be behaving itself.

• Root Admin

It is not the browser alone that is the cause as all of them can and do allow attacks by various means.

I would take a look at the following software which many seem to have trouble getting used to but once you take the time and actually train it and use it, you'll soon find that you're much better protected in general.

NoScript for Firefox pre-emptively blocks malicious scripts and allows JavaScript, Java and other potentially dangerous content only from sites you trust. http://noscript.net/

Then also use this plugin

Annoyed by adverts? Troubled by tracking? Bothered by banners? Install Adblock Plus now to regain control of the internet and change the way that you view the web. http://adblockplus.org/en/

I do not recommend using too many more plugins myself as it will slow the browser down the more you have. But these 2 are a must have in my opinion. They really keep things under control a lot better and give you the choice to run certain things or not instead of automatically just running as they would out of default IE or FF browser.

ZoneAlarm is a good firewall product overall. It can be annoying (as any of them can be) and at times does not get along well with MBAM but as long as it's working well for you then it is a good firewall.

For general temp and other cleaning I'd probably recommend CCleaner however DO NOT use the Registry cleaning feature. That to me is SNAKE OIL.

Cheers.

I will have a look at your recommendations, I have already downloaded and installed a number from your previous post.

The laptop seems fine but I have found out that my HOSTS file has been corrupted, I will be replacing it with another one I have from a backup.

Thank you for your time and patience in assisting in the removal of the malware.

CHEERS.