Image tool for Server 2003

Bender

I have a Dell Power Edge Server 2400 that I loaded and configured Windows Server 2003 on. I have subsequently decided to activate the RAID controller. When I do that, all disk data is destroyed. I need a way to image my existing install via my network then re-install after the RAID configuration has occured. I'm not interested in paying $800 for a server based product, especially for a one shot deal. Does anybody know of a utility or some freeware that could help me out?

Thanks!

Hello Bender,

you might want to have a look at hxxp;//www.macrium.com. Their Macrium Reflect product is pretty good in my experience. There's a free version as well as a paid one the cost of which is nowhere near $800, :).

I'd suggest emailing support for specific information about your exact needs.

Firefox, You won't believe this but I got to looking back through my collection of software and I already had a copy of Norton Ghost Enterprise and Standard editions. Both were version 6 for which I get the message that the install isn't compatable with Server 2003. I don't think that's a big deal (I hope). I'm trying to get a network boot disk prepared and hopefully ghost.exe will allow me to image the server drive over to another pc. I got a lot of irons in the fire so I'm hacking away at it as time permits.

CloneZilla (not related to Mozilla) is OS and file system independent, and open source ;)

http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net

Thanks for the lead Steven. That's the type of thing I was originally looking for. When I have time I'd like to take a closer look and experiment with that utility. I'm mostly familiar with Ghost so I'm going to plug away in that direction to take care of my immediate needs. In the future I'll see what Clonezilla can do.

Thanks!!!