BrainyTehBrain

Boot-Time Scan

18 posts in this topic

As malwarebytes is one of the most effective antimalware programs out there. I think it would be really useful to have a boot time scan feature like Avast. It would load before Windows so any malware interfering would not be loaded yet. Will this ever be implemented?

+1 i would like to see this is well

Not a bad idea as long as loading that early doesn't interfere with AV software when loading as they typically load up every early in the boot process as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along to the developers :angry:.

Thanks exile360 for passing it on :angry:

Good idea but will increase boot time and might conflict with some startup items/programs. I think it should be optional only, not to interfere with startup items on users computer.

Not a bad idea at all...I also feel that if it's implemented it should be optional only.

Yes optional, to have it scan on reboot for example especially when the malware is preventing it from running..... It could run on the next boot up and clean the infections.

Agreed Firefox, that's basically what I was thinking, sort of like an "In case of emergency, break glass" kind of feature to rescue a system badly crippled by infections.

Agreed Firefox, that's basically what I was thinking, sort of like an "In case of emergency, break glass" kind of feature to rescue a system badly crippled by infections.

1jpg.gif yes exactly that!

but you could scan your system with it once as some malware can not be found with the os booted up if you under stand what i mean firefox

@ malware destroyer.....

Yes I understand

I'm an IT tech and I have always been told MBAM works best in 'normal mode' as opposed to Safe Mode because it works best when all the malware is currently running (among other reasons that I can't remember) and this problem is exacerbated when scanning a slaved hard drive. My question is how will a boot time scanner avoid these issues?

I'm an IT tech and I have always been told MBAM works best in 'normal mode' as opposed to Safe Mode because it works best when all the malware is currently running (among other reasons that I can't remember) and this problem is exacerbated when scanning a slaved hard drive. My question is how will a boot time scanner avoid these issues?

It will partially avoid the Safe Mode issue because, since it isn't Safe Mode, it can use its driver while scanning, but it won't avoid the issue of not having the malware running (ie, it can't detect what's in memory if it isn't in memory), so it would have to rely totally on detecting infections in the registry and files/folders etc. It avoids the issues with slaved drives because it's still scanning the system drive (usually C:) where Windows is installed, that means all of our whitelisting etc will still be in place, thus massively decreasing the likelihood that we'll delete something that could make the drive unbootable and we'll also be able to scan the registry (something we can't do with slaved hard drives or running from a CD).

The only real issue that would remain would be catching malicious processes since they aren't running, something that might hurt detection rates a bit, but everything else would be in place, thus allowing us (hopefully) to kill the majority of the nasties, allowing the system to be bootable in normal mode, and avoiding the majority of pitfalls that scanning in Safe Mode, from a bootable CD or scanning a slaved drive all bring into the picture :D.

but when you boot up into normal mode you would then do another scan that would scan for things in memory so then if something is in memory you then could remove it so exile 360 i dont think detection rates will get hurt at all

That's quite true malware destroyer, unless of course we've already disabled or removed the nasties before they're ever able to run again, which certainly wouldn't be a bad thing anyway :).

indeed it wouldn't be bad at all and also i think if this is going to get emplemented i think it should be in the free version is well not just for the paid version

Yes, please do this. Since the more serious malware is designed to attack MBAM and disable it as it infects the rest of your system I say that a boot scan is imperative.