Update error 12007

Here are some steps to diagnose update issues:

Step 1

Click on
and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 2

Please download and run the traceroute utility at
. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

Step 3

Please download TCPView from Microsoft at

This utility will monitor everything that is accessing the Internet or your local network. All you have to do is run TCPView, and then run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and start the update. Watch TCPView to see if mbam.exe shows up in the list. It will be pretty obvious, because it highlights it in green.

I need to know what "Remote Address" Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is trying to connect to. Once it shows up in the list, you can right-click on the line for mbam.exe, and select 'Copy' in order to paste it into a reply. It will tell me what I need to know. Below is an example of what the line you are looking for will look like inside the following code box:

mbam.exe:3656 TCP vista-x64:52135 cdn-208-111-168-7.ord.llnw.net:http ESTABLISHED

Running Windows 7, seeing Google redirection. Installed Malwarebytes AntiMalware. Installation seemed ok but CheckForUpdates gives this error:

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING(12007, 0, WinHttpSendRequest)

Any help would be appreciated.

BruceP

For Step 1

I get an error message: "Internet Explorer could not find data-cdn.mbamupdates.com".

For Step 2 here is the Traceroute log:

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

Wed 08/25/2010

18:58:43.75

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Server: UnKnown

Address: 213.109.64.7

============================================================

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Finished at: 18:58:44.80

For Step 3 I started TCPView, then Malwarbytes update. The 12007 error dialog appears immediately. MBAM did not appear in the TCPView list.

BruceP

Hi Bruce -

As I am not sure of the Operating system you have , please select yours from below and Un/Re install the program as directed -

Either your version has been corruted by an infection or the download was not fully successful -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Ignore any other advertising on the download page and only install Malwarebytes AntiMalware program -

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Ignore any other advertising on the download page and only install Malwarebytes AntiMalware program -

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Paid version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your

Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

Any other problems or errors , please post back so we can help further -

For Step 1

I get an error message: "Internet Explorer could not find data-cdn.mbamupdates.com".

For Step 2 here is the Traceroute log:

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

Wed 08/25/2010

18:58:43.75

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Finished at: 18:58:44.80

For Step 3 I started TCPView, then Malwarbytes update. The 12007 error dialog appears immediately. MBAM did not appear in the TCPView list.

BruceP

Also tried deleting rules.ref as suggested in post to MXC. Same result.

BruceP

Hi Again -

I think this problem needs to be looked at by our experts - Some of these items should have helped a bit -

Running Windows 7, seeing Google redirection

Please print out, read and follow What do I do now? , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

The next step is post a New Topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that

you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via This Link

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)

My apologies for not responding for a few days.

That traceroute log shows a DNS issue, and it's possible that your DNS settings have been hijacked. If you connect to the Internet through a router, then I would highly recommend that you reset it to it's factory default settings by holding the 'Reset' button on the back of the router until the power light starts blinking. This will clear all of the settings, including DNS settings, and reset them to the factory defaults, which should resolve the issue.

Please note that you will need to set the router back up after performing this reset.

Also, if you know how to check the router's DNS settings manually, then you can change the DNS settings in the router to resolve the issue without resetting it. B)

I was able to get the DNS issue resolved. Downloaded Malwarebytes update and ran a scan which got rid of the browser redirect and also another problem of the browser being busy and not responding to mouse clicks. We are ok now...thanks for your help.

BruceP

Always glad to be of assistance. Let us know if you have any further issues. ;)