Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
khc3

Full scan locks up, not responding

7 posts in this topic

turned off all antivirus software, not running ZA, turned off screen saver, and full scan still locks up ("Program not responding") after about 50 minutes. Must close manually.

Any hints? this is version 1.30.

Well it is possible that something is wrong with WMI on your system which could potentially cause looping while it reads the data. Not very common but I've seen it quite a few times on systems I've had to support over time.

This is an Advanced subject and if you're not comfortable with doing this then I suggest you not use the FULL SCAN and only use the Quick Scan until such time as MBAM is able to provide built-in support for preventing or detecting this error.

A New Utility for Diagnosing and Repairing Problems with the WMI Service

We think this may have something to do with ZoneAlarm. Can you please try uninstalling ZA temporarily, reboot completely after the uninstall, make sure all ZA files/services/drivers are gone, and then let us know if the problem persists. Naturally you can reinstall ZA after we ascertain this.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with full scan. It used to lock up scanning in the Zonealarm subfolders. But I uninstalled all that, restarted, and emptied out the user temp folder. Now it locks up trying to scan the "system volume information" folder which is hidden and unaccessable. Why try to scan this folder?

I am also having the same problem. Using Vista. Scans drive C: without problem (found 9 errors first time) but keeps crashing on drive d:. Have tried several times just drive d:, but crashes in differents spots. Have tried in safe mode and it makes no difference - even tried form command prompt. Installed the program after getting message "Google Installer has stopped working".

Hi, I'm having the same problem with full scan. It used to lock up scanning in the Zonealarm subfolders. But I uninstalled all that, restarted, and emptied out the user temp folder. Now it locks up trying to scan the "system volume information" folder which is hidden and unaccessable. Why try to scan this folder?

Hi guy_from_downunder,

It is not necessary to run a Full Scan on all your hard drives to remove 'active' malware. Just clicking the Quick Scan button should do the trick. You should always check for updates before you do a scan, though.

However, Malwarebytes being unable your scan you D: drive could possibly mean that there may be file corruption on that drive.

Please run a disk check.

To do this, RIGHT click on your (D:) drive and click on 'Properties'.

Then click on the 'Tools' tab and under 'Error-checking' click 'Check Now'.

You will see a gui with two boxes in it, one which says 'Automatically fix file system errors' and on which says 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'.

Just tick the box that says 'Automatically fix file system errors' and then click 'Start'.

You may or may not then see a box which asks you if you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart Windows.

If you do see this box, click 'Yes' and restart your computer to run the disk check.

If this does not solve the problem, please post back.