Malwarebytes not residing in Taskbar after Startup

mhein

Hello All,

First let me say I have been very grateful to have found Malwarebytes. I've been a fan and user of Spybot for years, but to have an App at a reasonable price with such devotion to the near hourly upkeep of the actual file-life-blood of its purpose is much appreciated!

My concern is over the fact that for a few days now and despite that fact that it appears in the Win startup list (see attached Capture) Malwarebytes does not appear in the Taskbar unless I open up the App itself through an icon.

Any ideas? .... Should I simply uncheck the the "start Protection module with Windows" option, use StartUp Cop to disable the Malwarebytes entry, restart Windows, re-enable the Protection option, etc. ???

OR, is there another way around this? And, (I couldn't fine anything in doing a search here) has this been a fairly common occurrence with Win 7??

post-65385-0-03186000-1299313711.jpg

Hello All,

despite that fact that it appears in the Win startup list (see attached Capture) Malwarebytes does not appear in the Taskbar unless I open up the App itself through an icon.

OR, is there another way around this? And, (I couldn't fine anything in doing a search here) has this been a fairly common occurrence with Win 7??

Same issue here using Win 7 32bit, WinPatrol, Prevx and Avast6.

@mhein & faircot:

I think you both may have posted to the wrong subforum -- this particular board is for discussion about processes in the Windows startup folders.

I think you probably want to PM a mod or admin to ask to move this thread here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=41, the general MBAM forum. :lol:

In the interim, and until an expert arrives, I have a couple of thoughts:

1) I assume you are both running MBAM PRO (the paid version), since the FREE version does not offer real-time-protection or the option to start at windows startup?

2) Have you checked to be sure you have created all the necessary FW and AV exclusions and permissions for MBAM (and conversely, that have you added these programs to MBAM's ignore list)? The precise instructions depend on your OS and the brand and version of your AV and FW. A general FAQ on this is here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

3) Sometimes, minor issues can be resolved with a clean MBAM reinstall, following the procedures below:

MBAM Clean Re-installation Instructions:

NOTE: You need to be logged in as an administrator.

1. Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.

Note:It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so -- very important!

2. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus (AV) and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here. (Note: Ignore any promos or ads for other software/products at the mirror sites; and there is no fee to download MBAM Free.)

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.

3. Launch MBAM (and set the Protection and Registration, if you are using the PRO version).

4. Go to the UPDATE tab, if not done during installation, and check for updates.

5. Restart the computer again (and, if you are using the PRO version, verify that the MBAM icon is in the system tray).

6. Set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or ask and we'll explain how to do it. (Specific steps depend on the AntiVirus software vendor & version, and on your computer's OS).

7. Restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

8. Add the program folder(s) for your AV and FW to MBAM's "Ignore List".(Let us know if you need help with this.)

9. Set up your scheduled updates & scheduled scans (this only applies to the PRO version). Scheduler help is available here.

10. Run an MBAM Quick Scan.

Best regards,

daledoc1

PS @faircot: I see you are running WinPatrol. Have you checked the "startup" tab to be sure you don't have WinPatrol set to block MBAM loading at startup?

Hello All,

Many thanks to all for your answers! Every BBS/Forum has there own "style" (I've been around these since the "old days" of ASCII BBB's) so it is often rather daunting to figure out exactly were to post a question despite having done a Search first <G>

In searching and lurking here I did find the ant-virus and other potentially "competing" start-up apps, and took the suggested configuration changes. I must say I haven't seen any slowing or conflicts with Teatime, though.

At present, after a few tweaks, MB Pro is now starting and functioning from the Win 7 start-up normally. I did save and d/l the files in daledoc1's important instructions . Again, many thanks to all for your help...Mark

@mhein:

Great!

As (the REAL expert :) ) Exile360 astutely pointed out, there is a slight deliberate delay built in to MBAM's protection module (for Vista and 7), so that it won't conflict with the OS or the AV doing their thing at bootup. :)

(So, for these OS, at least, it ought not to be necessary to use WinPatrol or other utilities to delay the loading of the MBAM protection module; for XP, though, these can be useful, as I think there is no such built-in delay.)

I may have misunderstood your original question to mean that MBAM wasn't showing up AT ALL in the system tray and/or that the protection module wasn't starting AT ALL.

Anywho, I'm glad you're back up and running.

Cheers,

daledoc1