Malwarebytes won't update

I have been using Malwarebytes for the past five months and I have never been able to update it. I always have to transfer the newest version from another computer.

It has no problems scanning, but when I click on the "Check for updates" button, the program freezes up. It doesn't seem to be able to connect to the server, even though my Internet is working fine. Then, after a while, a little window pops up that says: PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12002, 0, WinHttpSendRequest)

Can someone help?

Hello and welcome, shrunkin:

There are many possible reasons for updating troubles.

These range from needing to tweak a few MBAM settings to a malware infection.

We need a bit more info to start troubleshooting:

** What Windows OS (XP, Vista, 7)?

** What Service Pack for the OS?

** What version of MBAM (current is 1.50.1.1100)?

** What database version (current is 6253)?

** What brand and version (e.g. Free or Paid, major version number) of anti-virus, anti-malware and/or firewall software do you have?

** Do you use a router to connect to the internet?

** Are you behind an institutional firewall or do you use a proxy server to connect to the internet?

** Are you showing any signs of infection?

** Have your MBAM scans turned up with anything?

Please post back with the requested information so that someone can help to get things working properly for you.

Best regards,

daledoc1

- Windows 7

- I don't seem to have any service packs installed. It just says: "Version 6.1 (Build 7600)" with nothing after that

- MBAM version 1.50.1.1100

- MBAM database version 6219 (I had recently transferred this version from a different computer to my laptop)

- I use Microsoft Security Essentials version 2.0.657.0 and Windows Firewall

- Yes, I use a router

- I don't know what an institutional firewall is, but I'm not using a proxy server

- I've had the Google Redirect Virus for the past month or two, and I've been dealing with the Win 7 Home Security 2011 virus for the past week. I fixed the latter virus so it isn't bothering me now, but I'm not sure if it's completely out of my laptop.

- I did use MBAM to get rid of the Win 7 Security thing, but other than that, it found nothing

Thank you for your time!

Hi, shrunkin:

Thanks for the info.

Are you able to run Windows Update?

(Reason I ask is that you don't seem to have Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, which was released last month via Windows Update. To find out, right-click the "computer" icon on your desktop > properties -- ~1/3 of the way down on the window that opens it will list your OS; if you have SP1, it will say "Service Pack 1" underneath.)

I'm also a bit concerned that you mention a recent infection on your system.

Malware can be one reason why MBAM (and Windows Update) are not able to update properly.

I was originally going to suggest that you follow the steps to make sure MBAM has full permission in both MSE and Windows firewall.

That often fixes the MBAM updating problem.

However, the safest course of action if you are not sure your system is clean is probably to have your system checked at the Malware Removal forum first.

1. First, please go to THIS PAGE, print out, read and follow as many instructions as you can, skipping any you are unable to complete.

2. Then, please describe your computer's symptoms as best you can and post the requested logs by starting a new thread at the Malware Removal-HJT forum.

One of the authorized, trained experts will then assist you as soon as possible for one-on-one malware detection and removal.

When you post, please be sure to select Track This Topic & choose one of the email options, so that you will be notified when someone responds.

Please allow 24-48 hours before bumping your thread.

Other Support Options:

Alternatively, as a paying customer using MBAM PRO, you may wish instead to start a support ticket by contacting support at: support@malwarebytes.org; or

Premium, fee-based support options are available here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/premium-support.php.

Also, please use the "Add Reply" button when replying here & at the other boards, so that it will be easier for everyone to follow the thread.

Once your system is clean, you will be able to update/run MBAM and will be in good shape to take Windows7 SP1 & any other patches you might need,

daledoc1

PS One of the moderating team or a more expert member may have additional or other advice. I will defer to them, should they have a different recommendation.

I am able to run Windows Update, and I see that the Service Pack has been available since March. You're saying that I shouldn't install it until after my computer is clean? I already posted my problems on the other forum, so I'm just waiting to hear back from someone.

Hi, Shrunkin:

Good sign that Windows Update is working OK.

Yes, if you are infected, you'll want to get your system cleaned before installing SP1, since malware can prevent a successful SP1 update.

(See step #4 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743)

I hope you get your system clean soon!

(Please be patient -- allow 24-48 hours before bumping your thread at the Malware Removal forum. Someone will assist you there as soon as possible.)

Best regards,

daledoc1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. I had Norton 360 (I think that's the name) before MSE, but I was forced to switch because Norton couldn't seem to connect to the server to activate or something, even though my connections were fine. I don't know if that's related to my MBAM problem.

Below are the instructions of the files that need to be excluding in MSE... Follow those instructions and then let us know how it goes....

Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Add... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Add... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Essentials and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.x in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Client and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you have any problems, please post back and one of the Experts will assist you

Thanks, ;)

Ok, since non of those items worked, then since you were infected at one point, it is possible something is still there blocking you from updating, please follow the instructions below....

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1