Windows Defender Error 0x80070424

kbalanis

I'm hoping I can finally get this issue resolved. Usually I am able to get everything working again after getting a virus but this is something that I cannot get to work. A few days ago my computer was infected with the Win 7 Total Security 2011 virus. At least I think that's what it was called, there are so many different names of these types of viruses. I was able to find the files associated with this virus through a scan with MBAM, but now my Windows Defender isn't working at all. After I open it up, I get an error message that states: The specified service does not exist as an installed service. (Error Code: 0x80070424). I don't know if I still have a virus that's blocking this program from working or the Win 7 virus did something to the registry, or if some important files got corrupted. I have created a ComboFix log if that's useful in determining what the problem could be. Please let me know if you need it and I will post it. Thanks for the help.