Manual updates

Hello Collector: :welcome:

In practice the mbam-rules.exe file is updated approximately once per week.

The online MBAM database is updated probably six (and sometimes many more) times per day.

If a computer without Internet access requires it, the rules.ref file may be donated by another computer that has Internet access. See the FAQ Section A, number 4.

HTH :)

Hello and :welcome:

The best way to get them updated since the mbam-rules.exe file does not get updated regularly is to follow the instructions in the FAQ located Right HERE. Look for Item 4.

ITEM 4

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

Windows XP and 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from HERE - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program

This is our preferred method for updating the rules file while offline.

Wow, 3 replies already!? Thanks. :lol:

Hello Collector: :welcome:

The online MBAM database is updated probably six (and sometimes many more) times per day.

If a computer without Internet access requires it, the rules.ref file may be donated by another computer that has Internet access. See the FAQ Section A, number 4.

Are you sure the manual download link is updated weekly? The version number seem to be the same... <_<:unsure:

Hello Collector:

That is to be expected when downloading/executing mbam-rules.exe

Of course the most up-to-date rules.ref file will be a by-product of an on-line update through MBAM's Update tab and clicking on "Check for Updates".

Does the system in question have Internet access?

Hello Collector:

That is to be expected when downloading/executing mbam-rules.exe

Of course the most up-to-date rules.ref file will be a by-product of an on-line update through MBAM's Update tab and clicking on "Check for Updates".

Does the system in question have Internet access?

Really? On the older ones, the version number changes so I could tell if it is a later version than the one I got at home so I could update. The system in question does not have internet access, thus is why I wish to access the manual installer else where.

Really? On the older ones, the version number changes so I could tell if it is a later version than the one I got at home so I could update. The system in question does not have internet access, thus is why I wish to access the manual installer else where.

Hello Collector:

I downloaded/installed the current mbam-rules.exe file on a computer with an up-to-date (v1.51.0.1200) MBAM PRO. The indicated database version remained that of the latest on-line version and a flash scan also reported a current version. However, I knew that the computer had taken on the much earlier database because of the smaller rules.ref file.

I then deleted the rules.ref file and downloaded the latest on-line database using "Check for Updates". I could see that the rules.ref file had increased in size and the reported version never changed version numbers. I hope these non-authoritative, member only, observations are helpful.

Cheers :)

Hello Collector:

I downloaded/installed the current mbam-rules.exe file on a computer with an up-to-date (v1.51.0.1200) MBAM PRO. The indicated database version remained that of the latest on-line version and a flash scan also reported a current version. However, I knew that the computer had taken on the much earlier database because of the smaller rules.ref file.

I then deleted the rules.ref file and downloaded the latest on-line database using "Check for Updates". I could see that the rules.ref file had increased in size and the reported version never changed version numbers. I hope these non-authoritative, member only, observations are helpful.

Cheers :)

Whoa, whoa, whoa - slow down there. Can you break that into smaller bits so I can understand?

Whoa, whoa, whoa - slow down there. Can you break that into smaller bits so I can understand?

Hello Collector:

Sure.

I have an on-line MBAM PRO protected system whose program & database versions are up-to-date.

I deleted rules.ref

I downloaded & executed mbam-rules.exe

I then deleted rules.ref again.

I built a new rules.ref file with the click of "Check for Updates" through the Update tab.

The bottom line is that with each & every step, the displayed/reported database version was always the same. Yet for a short period of time, I had a very old database.

Hello Collector:

Sure.

I have an on-line MBAM PRO protected system whose program & database versions are up-to-date.

I deleted rules.ref

I downloaded & executed mbam-rules.exe

I then deleted rules.ref again.

I built a new rules.ref file with the click of "Check for Updates" through the Update tab.

The bottom line is that with each & every step, the displayed/reported database version was always the same. Yet for a short period of time, I had a very old database.

So what exactly are you suggesting; Delete orgininal rules.ref, download mbam-rules.exe and update through that even though the version # is the same and same file size as the previous, delete the rules.ref again and do a in-program up-date?

So what exactly are you suggesting; Delete orgininal rules.ref, download mbam-rules.exe and update through that even though the version # is the same and same file size as the previous, delete the rules.ref again and do a in-program up-date?

Hello Collector:

The above was to show you the current responses when using a new, then old, then new database. It was for illustration purposes only.

The following are your best real world actions:

[list+1]

[*]If your computer can update the database from the Internet, then from MBAM's Update tab, click on "Check for Updates". The database downloaded will be the latest and correctly indicated everywhere.

[*]If the above fails then try downloading/executing the manual update as is outlined in the FAQ Section A, item 4. MBAM will not report the correct database version and the database will almost certainly be somewhat older then the most current one.

[*]If the above fails then A) transfer an up-to-date rules.ref file, or B) transfer a freshly downloaded mbam-rules.exe file from a donor system as is also outlined in the FAQ Section A, item 4. MBAM will not report the correct version of the transferred database.

Ay! :) It's finally updated!!! From a version that was once from May is now today!!! See, I told ya the version number on the mbam-rules.exe changes when you have a later definition updates. :lol:;) Now I can update away, offline. That's pretty much all I wanted to ask; to make sure you have the consistency of updating the file every week! :rolleyes:

I'll bug you again if it doesn't change after a week.

Thanks! :)

Hello Collector:

YW

Although the mbam-rules.exe downloadable file appears to have been updated earlier this morning (w/ver.6988), the preferable method to keep your MBAM's database updated is always with scheduled on-line updates, or by clicking on "Check for Updates" if you don't yet have the MBAM PRO version.

To anyone who has a response:

I'm reopening this thread due to a recent update to the MWB updating process as of last month. I work for a university and we run a secure network that doesn't allow infected computers to connect to the web. This means when we're cleaning we need the latest and most up-to-date version of MWB. The mbam-rules.exe although a useful tool to update to a recent period of time does not allow us to keep up with the newest definitions which we need. The manual updating technique that has been employed in the past also has discontinued to work. Is there still a way to run a manual update? I have found the rules.ref file in a few locations throughout the computer but updating these files is not enough to update MWB. Any suggestions or is this support completely discontinued?

Thanks!

Hello TheSharocko: :welcome:

The mbam-rules.exe download file was updated yesterday and is all that's required to manually update the database of a current program version of MBAM (v1.51.0.1200). See the FAQ, Section A, Item 4. The rules.ref file is only located in one place on any one given OS.

If you are a reseller, affiliate, technician, corporate, business, educational, government or non-profit customer, then please contact corporate-support@malwarebytes.org and include full contact details along with your Reference # when you do to ensure that you receive prompt assistance.

Thank you :)

This method of manually updating does still work, it simply is not reflected in the GUI of the scanner, but it will still use the new rules.ref that you have manually installed so that you can use this method to clean a system that is badly infected and has no internet access/has no access to our update servers.

Hello Collector:

YW

Although the mbam-rules.exe downloadable file appears to have been updated earlier this morning (w/ver.6988), the preferable method to keep your MBAM's database updated is always with scheduled on-line updates, or by clicking on "Check for Updates" if you don't yet have the MBAM PRO version.

thankyou. :)

I would download the latest update via through the program, but, unfortunately, I don't have an internet connection at my place....thus is why I download the mbam-rules.exe elsewhere in hope that it is the latest to update my Malwarebytes AntiMalware program... ;)

This is not the recommended way to update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and honestly, if you don't have an active internet connection, you don't need Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to be updated (since there is no internet, there would be no internet threats).

This method of updating is only for extreme situations where you need to do a one time update in order to remove infections from a system where the infections are preventing access to the internet or to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's update servers.

This is not the recommended way to update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and honestly, if you don't have an active internet connection, you don't need Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to be updated (since there is no internet, there would be no internet threats).

This method of updating is only for extreme situations where you need to do a one time update in order to remove infections from a system where the infections are preventing access to the internet or to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's update servers.

yes, true there'll be no internet threats however there will be threats coming through via USB, LAN, CDs, DVDs and other forms where data is received and sent at the HDD.

Hello Collector:

The computer in question would be best served by obtaining donation rules.ref files from a computer with Internet access then.

It would also be best if the computer to be donated to, was protected with MBAM PRO and enjoyed regularly scheduled "Quick Scans".

yes, true there'll be no internet threats however there will be threats coming through via USB, LAN, CDs, DVDs and other forms where data is received and sent at the HDD.

Generally, as long as you disable autorun for removable media (now default in most Windows versions, especially if the systems are fully patched) and you have an active antivirus, such infections should not be an issue.

Eventually, continuing to do so, especially if you are a user of the PRO version, may cause stability issues or cause the application to fail due to the meta data for the database being out of sync.

And that would be the job of your anti-virus software to take care of those threats.