Which antivirus is best to use with Malwarebytes

Hi,

I was wondering which antivirus product is best to use with malwarebytes? Until recently, I only had malwarebytes installed (plus Spybot), and I was infected with some virus that ate up all my start menu shortcuts and cleared my desktop picture.

So....apparently I needed more than just malwarebytes....I just purchased Norton 360 a couple of weeks ago, and have had problems with it right from the get go. It wouldn't install properly, so I had to call tech support. Then it was conflicting with malwarebytes, and my CPU usage was stuck at 100% constantly. So they asked that I shut off malwarebytes, or uninstall it completely (I paid for malwarebytes!!! So I didn't really want to do that.!)I ended up just preventing it from starting when I log on.

Today I got a Norton error message, and the antivirus had shut itself off...so I was potentially left exposed. A reboot seemed to switch it back on again. Even after deactivating Malwarebytes, Norton still seems to run my CPU at 100% at times, and I have no idea if something else is still conflicting with it...or if it just takes up so much of the CPU when its scanning that I can't do anything else at the time!! This is an older computer, running windows xp, and it has 735MB RAM.

Anyway...long story short....I'm thinking of getting my money back after all the hassle I'm having with Norton 360.

Is there a good antivirus that will work in conjunction with the malwarebytes program I have already paid for - that will give me added protection that I won't get from malwarebytes alone?

Any suggestions would be welcome!!!

Thanks

There are plenty of FREE / PAID versions out there. Too bad you were running without an AV.

Personally I use AVAST 6.0 FREE Version with MBAM Pro. No Problems what so ever.

There is also ESET, NOD32, AVG, Avira, Kapersky, Trend Micro, to name a few.

• Root Admin

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Browse... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on the Add button

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Browse... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on the Add button

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Essentials and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.x in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Client and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Thanks for the suggestions,

I will check out Avast and Microsoft Security essentials!

I appreciate it!

You are quite welcome, just make sure you only use ONE antivirus and also Malwarebytes.

Please note what Firefox said above and only use ONE of the Antivirus programs -

Thank You -

These types of topics will never conclude in a decisive choice.

What's the best car? Who would make the best spouse? What's your favorite color?

Is Avira's AntiVir Personal 10 better than all the others? I think so.

Yea, you won't get a decent answer. Every anti virus will miss something sometime. Just go for the anti virus which suits you the best and meet your requirements the most. As I said, I'm using Nod32 because it suits me. It's very light, don't make my system freeze, don't have any compatibility problems with the programs I use, detects and removes a lot of malware, and it don't spam me with alerts.