Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boweasel

Windows Firewall Authorization Driver Not Present

4 posts in this topic

My problem is very similar to another one I saw posted to this forum. Was getting my search results hijacked, so I used Malwarebytes, and I removed 22 objects, but I still was having hijack problems - those not as frequent. It would seem that if I DID NOT delete my previous searches, clicking on the search results in Google would take me to one of those previous search results. I then ran Super-Anti-Spyware which found another 112 bits of malware which I removed.

Results are no longer being hijacked, but I cannot turn on Windows Firewall. To quote the other posting:

The firewall is dependent on two things, the BFE (base filtering engine) and the windows firewall authorization driver... The BFE is running, but the authorization driver will not, even though the driver file is fine and in the right place (windows/system32/drivers/mpsdrv.sys)

This is correct in my case, but is it the right driver?

Going to Device Manager and showing hidden devices reveals Windows Firewall Authorization Driver with a yellow exclamation point. Double clicking on it tells me that 'This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed (Code 24)'.

I have searched and have found nothing more helpful than 'reformat and reinstall', or delete the driver and reboot (I have also found forum problems associated with this last one, so I'm loathe to try it).

Additionally, when I run HijackThis, I get a msg saying 'For some reason your system denied access to the Hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file, HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this.' Which is true. If I put a check mark on a Price Gong 02 BHO, click on Fix Checked, and then run another scan, I first get the above msg, followed by the scan results, which show that the BHO is still there. I seem unable to run HijackThis as an administrator - I'd seen that suggestion posted in another forum.

Anyone have any advice on this?

FYI, I did fix the HJT problem by right-clicking on the icon, selecting properties, clicking the Compatibility tab, and selecting 'Run this program as an administrator'.

Hi and welcome to Malwarebytes.

Please update MBAM, run a Quick Scan, and post its log.

Next, download DDS by sUBs and save it to your Desktop.

Double-click on the DDS icon and let the scan run. When it has run two logs will be produced, please post only DDS.txt directly into your reply.

Are you still with us? This topic will be closed in a few days if we do not hear back from you.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!