Driver Problems

hwedin

Hi

I'm having what appears to be driver problems.

What happens is that my computer randomly locks up and has to be switched off by holding the power button down until it turns off. This has gone from being annoying to something that could be really be 'hurting' my computer.

Are there any free (and safe!) programs which will update the driver(s) in question or does anyone here have any other ideas.

Here is the event viewer log:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

SBRE

Details

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 7026

Source: Service Control Manager

Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED

Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation

The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action

Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.

Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

Version: 5.0

Component: System Event Log

Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED

Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation

The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action

Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.

Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

Also my netbook is running XP Home with 1 Gb of ram and is 3 moths old.

Thanks

Are there any free (and safe!) programs which will update the driver(s) in question

I've used SlimDrivers

driverupdate.net

on a couple of desktop PC's to update drivers. (Free and probably safe)

Apart from one driver update killing 'net access (easily fixed by just doing a system restore and ignoring that update from then on), it seems to have done a good job.

Just to be paranoid, I install only one driver update at a time, then run the SlimDrivers scan for updates again.

I don't know if that will help, but hopefully it won't make things worse.

Good luck :)

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed hyperlink from questionable site

Hi

Thank you for your replies.

I manually found the driver and it was a left over from Vipre antivirus free trial so I ran the Vipre removal tool again and no problems so far. But I will make sure that all other drivers are up to date.

If the problem still occurs I'll ask again.

Thanks again

just a suggestion here ...

with those "automatic driver/update" programs , one can loose track of what has been/is being done .

blindly installing drivers by the suggestion of a program can result in problems if the driver is a "bad release" .

using the "built in" updater found in several programs (eg : adobe products , firefox , etc .) is about the best way to go .

there has been a thread or two about the pros and cons of "driver/update programs" .

as i recall , a couple of these were not cool ... they tried to hawk or con the user into downloading *something else* .

personally speaking , the only automatic updaters i use are for the anti-virus/malware/firewall programs .

the rest of the programs i manually check .

no need to have a bunch of stuff running in the background . ;)

as an added bonus , by manually checking and making sure that the "update" is good (google and forum queries are great) you become more familiar with what is going on with your machine/comps and take another step up and away from being a "blind button pusher end user" .

education/knowledge is a good thing .