Using Bitdefender with Malwarebytes

Hi,

I am interest in Bitdefender with Malwarebytes Pro. However, Bitdefender will not install with Malwarebytes installed. I could re-install Malwarebytes, however, it is not clear they can "play" together.

Does anyone have any experiences with this combination.

Sheldon

• Root Admin

Hello Sheldon.

They should work together. Please remove MBAM per BitDefenders insistence and reboot.

Then install, update and get BitDefender working how you want, then try the following and let us know how it goes.

Setting Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in BitDefender 2011 Products:

1. Open BitDefender
  2. Click Options and select Expert View
  3. Click on Antivirus on the left, then click on the Exclusions
  4. Click the checkbox next to Exclusions are disabled so that it says Exclusions are enabled
  5. Click the + on the upper right to add a new exclusion
  6. Ensure Exclude by file/folder path is set, then click Next
  7. Click Browse
  8. Click the + next to My Computer or Computer
  9. Click the + next to C:
  10. Click the + next to Program Files Note: In 64 bit Windows versions this will be C:\Program Files (x86)
  11. Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
  12. Repeat steps 5-9 and then click the + next to Windows
  13. Click the + next to System32
  14. Click the + next to drivers
  15. Click once on mbam.sys and click on OK
  16. click Next
  17. click Finish
  18. click Apply
  19. In the Antivirus tab click on the Whitelist button on the bottom and add the following URL:
    data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
  20. Click on Apply and then close the BitDefender window

Thanks -

Your note refers to Bitdefender 2011. The newest version is Bitdefender 2012. This appears to be the first version that will not allow other programs like Malwarebytes to be present when it is installed.

Any know issue with the 2012 version and Malwarebytes?

Sheldon

• Root Admin

Yes I understand unfortunately we don't have every version of every AV solution out there.

BitDefender and Kaspersky and some others have recently started to add that to their installer but users of Kaspersky have confirmed that MBAM works just fine when you install MBAM after and setup the exclusions.

BitDefender is just not as popular as Kaspersky so not as much feedback from user on it.

For the most part the exclusions should work the same, BitDefender may have changed some screens some.

Please try installing as I mentioned and let us know.

• 6 months later...

I can't find this in the Bitdefender Internet Security 2012, where is the whitelist??????

• In the Antivirus tab click on the Whitelist button on the bottom and add the following URL:
    data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
  • Click on Apply and then close the BitDefender window

Hi berryracer.

I'm using the most recent version of Bitdefender Internet Security 2012 at the moment, and it seems that Bitdefender no longer allows you to specifically allow a certain website through the firewall. What you can do is whitelist a program, which will subsequently allow it to access any and all URL's it wants. Here are the steps to do just that for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1. Open Bitdefender

2. Click Settings

3. On the left, select the Firewall tab

4. At the top, click Advanced

5. Select "Application Rules"

6. Select "Add Rule"

7. For Program Path, navigate to the directory MBAM is installed to (ie "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware") and select mbam.exe

8. Select the type of network you want to allow this on (Trusted, Home/Office/ Public/Untrusted)

9. Leave all other settings at default, and ensure that at the bottom "Allow" is checked.

10. Select OK

This will allow mbam.exe to update using the URL "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com".

If you're still having issues, let me know.

• 10 months later...

Hello:

I wll appreciate if you can tell me how can I use my Malwarebytes Pro with Bitdender AntivirusPlus 2013 both in real time.

Thank you

Hello and :welcome:

Your best bet since you have the PRO version of Malwarebytes, you should contact the help desk....

As a paying customer, you can contact the help desk by filling out the web form --> Right HERE.

Our online experts will be able to assess your problem further - Thank You -

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Well thought I was talking about BitDefender free.  But according this site = AV-TEST looks more like the paid for version is what I want.  Kaspersky & BitDefender appear to both have good scores.  Perhaps I should check Amazon for prices on BD & Kaspersky.

No actually think I want to give the free version a shot first & just Antivirus Plus which means still using Windows Firewall.  Kinda cheap on my part I guess.

Sorry didn't do very good research before posting.  :(

PC Magazine gives BD free 4 stars out of 5 but some of the commentors are really angry.

Here are some comments from 9 months ago, not sure if Photon is the scanning engine?: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421252,00.asp

Cilverjolt  9 months ago

Do you know if this product uses the exact engine as the paid version or a modified version? It also would be nice to have test from Av-test and Av-comparatives it's too bad.

moxxey  Cilverjolt  9 months ago

Cilverjolt, no it does not. 

This Free edition is based on the previous v16/2013 engine. The Photon technology is not in the Free version. Only Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, Internet Security and Total Security received the 2014 upgrade, with the Photon technology

kwkeirstead 

We have used this product for a number of years and have been extremely satisfied with performance and functionality. We recommend it along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to any customer who asks about PC security.

Good to know it plays well MBAM but I guess BD free is out since you had problems w/exclusions & too many negative comments after.

I need to explain it more fully:

When running, if BD Free finds an object it suspects may be malicious, you can easily mark that object with a few options, IIRC they were something like Ignore, Exclude and Quarantine.

However, there was no settings panel where I could mark any process as an exclusion from being scanned in the first place - so no excluding any of the MBAM files, no excluding any of my NirSoft files and SysInternal files, etc. until they had been scanned and were marked as potentially malicious.

HTH

Oh, so BD free would find MBAM files to be malicious & then you could mark them to be ignored.

I'm a big Amazon shopper & have come to rely on the advice given there by reviewers.  Been checking out antivirus for sale there & guess I've almost concluded that MSE is just fine.  Since I've been running MSE & MBAM together (between 2 & 3 years) have yet to get infected. Perhaps I'm juts a boring web surfer.

Guess I'll upgrade to MBAM 2.0 Premium & let the AV wait for another day.

thanks for all your help  :)

No, that is the key - it would not find MBAM files malicious, but at the same time, there is no way to prevent BD from jumping in MBAM's way if MBAM starts a scan.  MBAM can be configured to stay out of BD's way, but not the other way around - and that is what I had issue with.

The NirSoft and SysInternals files I had to wait until my entire system got scanned before they showed up so I could mark them as excluded. (Actually, I think the options may have been Ignore once, ignore always, and quarantine).

OK, well that settles it - BD free definitely out.  Many years ago I had Defender & Norton both running & apparently did not get the exclusions set properly, if I even knew to do that back then & Defender clobbered Norton.  Had a heck of a time getting Norton off, did not reinstall. Certainly don't want to run into that situation again.