Using Bitdefender with Malwarebytes

According to what I have read, BitDefender free uses the same scanning engine as the Pro.  I tried it out myself, but quickly ditched it for one major reason - I cannot add any exclusions into BitDefender Free.

I used BD AV Free for over a year on my W7 SP-1 with Malwarebytes1.7x Pro and then MBAM 2.0 Beta and RC1 along with some other security programs like EMET, Win Patrol Plus etc and never found a problem because I couldn't enter any exclusions.  Then again I use only about 20 - 30 programs out of a Windows universe of probably hundreds of thousands

Since upgrading from BD AV Free to BDIS the W7 SP1 computer has experienced a number of apparent conflicts betwen BDIS and  MBAM Premium 2.0 but I have been able to solve them them all with MBAM 2.0 uninstalls and reinstalls, exclusions and modifications to Windows Firewall.  Of course these tweaks are not something a less experienced user would want to deal with.

Anyway as of now all is good on my W7 SP1 with BDIS and MBAM Premium 2.0 as well as my three W8.1 Pro computers with BD W8 Security and MBAM Premium 2.0  I have not had experienced any issues or conflicts on the three W8.1 computers between BD W8 Security and MBAM Premium 2.0.

• 5 months later...

Most interesting discussion.  I've started another smilar thread on both the MBAM Premium and BD Free forums.  I would am considering using them both concurrently.  However, John Galt says (above) that exclusions cannot be used with DB Free.  That may be a deal breaker.

I am presently using MSE with MBAM Premium.  I am also using MBAE (anti-exploit).  They all seem to be working happily together.  I use Ccleaner daily and use SuperAntiSpyware as an on-demand scanner to give me a "second opinion."  I have a clean (Windows 7 Prof. 64-bit) machine.  So why change?  Good question.  I do like Bitdefender's forum, their response to questions, and excellent test scores, which seem to be far superior to MSE's. 

I'm having a really hard time finding a compelling reason to dump what I have and convert to two paid programs -- MBAM Premium and (e.g.) Bitdefender Total Security or Bitdefender Antivirus Plus.  With a clean machine, it would seem to me that your critical, first line of defense is MBAM.  MBAE seems to be a logical and important supplement.

What say you?  Should I experiment or stay with what I have?

Louis

Hi, Louis: :)

Actually, MS no longer recommends MSE (aka Defender, as it is renamed in Windows 8) as an anti-virus:
http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

Second, while MBAM Premium is an important component of one's computer security setup, it's actually a complementary tool designed to run alongside a robust AV, either free or paid.
IOW, the AV is the primary layer of protection against a broader range of threats.
More information about home computer security here:

Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

So how did I get infected in the first place?
Answers to common security questions - Best Practices
Six tips to help you stay safer online

How did I get infected?

The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware

Also: there is no one "best" AV to suit every computer and every budget.
This particular thread was started several years ago re: compatibility of the 2 programs (BD and MBAM), rather than selection of an AV, per se.
Moreover, all of the old replies here would now be outdated, as they are based on older versions of both BD and MBAM. ;)
As Malwarebytes works with all of the major AV vendors, it would be "tacky" for forum staff or volunteers to endorse one AV over another. ;)
There is a pinned topic with some options and other resources here: List of well known antivirus products
There are many similar discussions here at this forum and elsewhere, such as here and here

In any event, whichever AV you choose, if you should ever run into any problems with it and MBAM, you can always post here in the forum (in a new topic) and someone will be happy to help you.

Cheers.