Error Message unable to use Malwarebytes

Hello, oliveoil, and welcome back:

If I am not mistaken, this particular error sometimes results from not having established all the necessary program permissions and exclusions for MBAM in your AV and firewall.

So, First:

See the FAQ on that topic here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138.

Scroll down until you find your "brand" and version of AV/FW.

Post back if you need more detailed assistance with this.

Then, If that doesn't work, then consider a clean reinstall of MBAM, by following these steps here:

NOTE: You need to be logged in as an administrator.

1. Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here.

Note:It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so -- very important!

2. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus (AV) and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here. (Note: Ignore any promos or ads for other software/products at the mirror sites; and there is no fee to download MBAM Free.)

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email, if you are using the PRO version.

3. Launch MBAM (and set the Protection and Registration, if you are using the PRO version).

4. Go to the UPDATE tab, if not done during installation, and check for updates.

5. Restart the computer again (and, if you are using the PRO version, verify that the MBAM icon is in the system tray).

6. Set up any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs here, or ask and we'll explain how to do it. (Specific steps depend on the AntiVirus software vendor & version, and on your computer's OS).

7. Restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

8. Add the program folder(s) for your AV and FW to MBAM's "Ignore List".(Let us know if you need help with this.)

9. Set up your scheduled updates & scheduled scans (this only applies to the PRO version). Scheduler help is available here.

10. Run an MBAM Quick Scan.

Third:

Since this is directly related to problems running MBAM, I would suggest that you PM a mod or admin and ask that they move this thread to the General MBAM forum.

(This particular forum is typically reserved for non-MBAM related PC issues, and it doesn't get as much traffic or attention.)

Fourth:

Since you recently had malware issues on your system, are you sure that your system is clean (just a thought)?

HTH,

daledoc1

Many thanks

From instructions page that you mentioned, just downloaded new version over the old Malwarebytes & its working fine. My AntiVirus is Avira & has always worked fine with Malwarebytes in the past.

V quick solution.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Pat

Hi, oliveoil:

Glad it is working now.

Did you say you installed a new version of MBAM on top of an old version?

If so, that can sometimes cause problems.

If it does, then please follow my instructions for a clean reinstall described in my earlier post.

Also, here are the specific instructions for setting MBAM exclusions and permissions for Avira (step #6 in the clean install process):

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Guard
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Apply

[*]Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Guard
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Apply

[*]Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Avira in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Avira and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, this particular sub-forum is generally reserved for NON-MBAM PC problems.

So, if you need further assistance with this, I recommend that you send a PM to a mod or admin, asking that they move this thread here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=41, where it will get a bit more traffic and attention. :(

The leaders can be found here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders

You can give them the link to this thread for reference; it is: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=77138

Anyway, I'm glad it's all OK now!

daledoc1

Thanks have done as you suggested, both Avira and Malwarebytes now seem to be updating and running fine.

Will move this thread if I have any further problems.

Again thanks for your help.

By the way LOVE your photo what sort of Terrier is he/she? Would really like one myself. He/she's a beauty!

Hi, oliveoil:

Great.

I'm glad everything works well now.

As for the pooch, Thanks!

She is an Airedale Terrier.

I've been owned by them all my life (actually before that, as my family had them before I was born), which is > 50+ years.

"TFAOTP" (The Finest Animal On The Planet), "Characters With Character". :(

Best regards,

daledoc1